crown leather coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never heard of a red toadstool (Sarcophyton sp.) leather before. Can you post a pic?

Cheers
Steve

is "crown leather" the same name for a toadstool? i will try to post a picture soon. right now i think it may not have it polyps extended. it kind of looks like slightly melted wax. there is a crown that sits on top of a "stump" with a rasied dot in the middle. i can see lots of little craters also

thanks
steve r

steve r said:
is "crown leather" the same name for a toadstool?
It is one of many common names.

right now i think it may not have it polyps extended. it kind of looks like slightly melted wax. there is a crown that sits on top of a "stump" with a rasied dot in the middle. i can see lots of little craters also
Sounds like it's sloughing. Something many corals of this type will do when placed in a new tank. Nothing to worry about though, once it starts to shed the leather should perk up.

Cheers
Steve

Have you seen any kind of polyp extention, if so what color? Looks like a finger leather (Lobophytum sp.)

Cheers
Steve

no polyp extensions yet. the "button" in the middle was very small when i got him and his color looks better now. othere than that no change. so if it is a finger leather it will not have polyps like a toadstool correct? it just grow ( hopefully ) keeping its same appearence

thanks for the info
steve r

steve r said:
so if it is a finger leather it will not have polyps like a toadstool correct?
Not necessarily, some do some don't. If they ever do post a pic.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom