Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2005, 01:57 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Crown of thorn Starfish

I was watching a show today on the science channel about The Great Barrier Reef and how it's being distroyed by the outbreaks of crown of thorn starfish. I watch a lot of marine documentaries and specials, and have never heard of this before. Apparently they are a HUGE problem - as they eat only hard corals. Anyone else hear of this?

http://www.divegallery.com/crownofthorns.htm

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah. They are not a constant threat, but in some conditions their numbers get high and represent a threat.

I heard an anecdote while studing, don't know if it falls into the urban legend category ..... but here goes.....

There were these researchers studing them to find out more. They had captured some from the reef to observe and study closely. When they were done they didn't want to release the back but also had the philosophy that if you take it out of the ocean then put it back. So they decided to blend them up in a blender and figured that small fish might appreciate the protien...... When you know how if you cut the limbs off a starfish they gorw new ones ...and the limbs can regenerate a new body. Well it turns out that some of these bits of crown of thorn starfish healed up and there were dozens of these guys every where. I think that the researchers were able to collect most of them back up as they threw the so called dead starfish close to their research station.....

Could be a story, but I heard it from my professor. hehehe

Old 03-06-2005, 03:31 AM   #3
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I first saw a documentary on the crown of thorns back in the mid-seventies....sad to hear that they are still on the march.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I some places divemaster are instructed to stab them with their dive knife on sight.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tito2491 Send a message via MSN to Tito2491
Yea I was watching it too , Large Conch's Eat them also those little shrimp eat them , hope they eat most of them , I love reefs
Old 03-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
Well it turns out that some of these bits of crown of thorn starfish healed up and there were dozens of these guys every where. I think that the researchers were able to collect most of them back up as they threw the so called dead starfish close to their research station.....

Could be a story, but I heard it from my professor. hehehe
To the best of my knowledge, starfish need atleast 1/4 of their sieve plate( or central disk) to regrow legs. Without, there is nothing there that can be used to regrow them. I just studied this in my bio lab two weeks ago, where we disected a star. Seems impossible if you ask me. This knowledge coming from MY professor. LOL.

So I guess if you did it just right, you could from 5 starfish from one.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That was my understanding. I would love to heard other verification, ie from the people involved. But I am sure they would be to embarrased to say.

I also heard you can tissue culture starfish similar as they do with plants, from just one cell.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Holy cats. That reminds me of the bad liquid metal terminator when he got blown to bits and all the pieces started growing back together again. I always thought starfish needed a specific portion of their own body in order to reproduce limbs. If you can create more from pieces, then it would seem to be a cheap (but painful?)alternative to buying multiple specimens.

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:50 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
well, when i was watching the documentary - they were explaining how they have a dive team that kills them by injecting them with a concoction that has the same toxin they use to digest their food - but they said that if they didn't inject each arm with the toxin, the starfish would be able to grow back.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

for those people who have ever scuba dived you will know how incredible and diverse the range of life can be... i have seen the destructive #@$^ starfish in action while on a scuba trip on the GBR. it honestly brought me to tears(while under water), the destruction is beyond belief. the GBR is under great danger, more than most realise. the pictures you get on tv don't do the situation any justice, its far worse than made out. as far as the reef goes it will survive against the starfish its too large not to, otherthings like global warming will conquer it well before the starfish has a chance, although the starfish will NEVER be removed from the reef the numbers will be controlled to an extent but they will still spread!

and unfortunaley $$$$$ plays a huge part in control... and hopefully science may prevail...

Tags
crown, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com