Crushed coral;

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It’s all a matter of personal preference.
If your happy with CC stay with it.

I prefer sand. IMO: Looks nicer than CC.
Sand is Self Cleaning. Particles can get stuck in the
CC making it difficult to clean. And you’ll have to
Clean it. It may cause your water levels to become
Harder to maintain with decaying matter caught in the
CC. I also heard after a few years you may possibly have
to change out the CC.

As long as you take care of your CC you should be fine.
It's really up to you.

Crushed coral has odd shapes that will trap detrius. It also prevents sand sifting inverts from cleaning your substrate. Also the cc will produse a lot more nitrate and may cause algae problems if the cc is not vacumed. I believe the general consensus is that sand is better for the tank, but if you want CC its up to you.
HTH

It just takes more work to keep good water than a sandbed does. But as said above, if you like it better and are willing to maintain it, then keep it. It's your tank and nobody elses, so set it as you like it.

Sand beds aren't magical and have their share of problems too.. so go with whatever works for you.

I have cc with about an inch of sand over top. I vaccum once in a blue moon, and have never detected any nitrates. But, if I had it to do over, I would go with an all sand bed. :wink:

PS. I will go dsb if I can eer find that blasted southdown sand!!! :evil:

im just setting up my tank and i have sand in mine...i find that the water coming out of the filter pushes the sand away from the bottom of the tank and i see glass...if that makes sense ;-) Crushed coral I believe looks just as nice...seems like I get a lot of "sand storms" in my tank haha.

I actually have both but mostly sand and one bag of CC mixed in. It makes it look much more realistic than just sand or CC alone. The sand does look nice however but it is also cool to have a bit of variety which is what ocean life is all about IMO.

Back
Top Bottom