Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-07-2004, 09:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Crushed coral;

My crushed coral seems fine why change to sand?

30 gallon salt water.
2 clown fish
2 damsels
5 crabs
1 snail
1 coral shrimp
30lbs live rock
ClownMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 09:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
It’s all a matter of personal preference.
If your happy with CC stay with it.

I prefer sand. IMO: Looks nicer than CC.
Sand is Self Cleaning. Particles can get stuck in the
CC making it difficult to clean. And you’ll have to
Clean it. It may cause your water levels to become
Harder to maintain with decaying matter caught in the
CC. I also heard after a few years you may possibly have
to change out the CC.

As long as you take care of your CC you should be fine.
It's really up to you.

72Gallon Bow Tank | LS/80lbs LR.com Keys LR 20Lbs Base Rock | fluval404 | Remora Skimmer | Red Sea Pro Wave Maker | 4 Maxi Jets 2/1200 2/900 PH | PinPoint PH Monitor | ARTICA 1/10 HP Chiller

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Crushed coral has odd shapes that will trap detrius. It also prevents sand sifting inverts from cleaning your substrate. Also the cc will produse a lot more nitrate and may cause algae problems if the cc is not vacumed. I believe the general consensus is that sand is better for the tank, but if you want CC its up to you.
sicklidkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It just takes more work to keep good water than a sandbed does. But as said above, if you like it better and are willing to maintain it, then keep it. It's your tank and nobody elses, so set it as you like it.
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sand beds aren't magical and have their share of problems too.. so go with whatever works for you.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have cc with about an inch of sand over top. I vaccum once in a blue moon, and have never detected any nitrates. But, if I had it to do over, I would go with an all sand bed.

PS. I will go dsb if I can eer find that blasted southdown sand!!!
Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to ScurdOfCychlidz
im just setting up my tank and i have sand in mine...i find that the water coming out of the filter pushes the sand away from the bottom of the tank and i see glass...if that makes sense Crushed coral I believe looks just as nice...seems like I get a lot of "sand storms" in my tank haha.
46G Bowfront tank, 46# WaltSmith Fiji LR, 30# Sand, AquaClear 70 filter, Standard Heater, Penguin 1140 PowerHead. 2 spotted puffer fish, 2 Ocellaris Clown
4 Green Chromis, 1 Hermit Crab, 1 turbo snail, couple asst snails, 4 small hermit crabs
ScurdOfCychlidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
I actually have both but mostly sand and one bag of CC mixed in. It makes it look much more realistic than just sand or CC alone. The sand does look nice however but it is also cool to have a bit of variety which is what ocean life is all about IMO.

MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, crushed, crushed coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com