Crushed coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batfire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I was going to use my old CC then add two bags of live sand. After some reading I am concerned. The CC I have has some large pieces in it along with the fine. So after time the CC will rise and could trap uneaten food. So I think I would rather have a sand bottom. The tank is 55 gal. How much base sand and how much live sand. I heard you want about 3-4 inches ??

Any amount of live sand would be fine. It will seed the dry sand and all will become live. Of course, the mjore you use, the faster it would seed.

Also that are many different ways to do depth of sandbed. Some say DSB, some go bare, asn some like me use a shallow sand bed.

Just get some opinions and try the one you like best.

Thanks, can the base be play sand then live sand on top of that ? Also what is aroganite ?

aboloutly.

aroganite is simply sand from the ocean or natural sand, as opposed to a silica or glass sand. The araganite is good for ph and the little critters in the sand bed.

Also if you add sand to the top of CC, eventually the sand will work it's way to the bottom, and the CC will be on the top. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom