Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
You didn't read the fishless cycling article did you.
Maybe that was one of those things that he pushed out of his brain with something new.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrle View Post
Maybe that was one of those things that he pushed out of his brain with something new.
I actually did, 3 raw shrimp for 3 days, treated the tank with some bacteria solution from the lfs (I was told I didn't need the shrimp with the bacteria but I did it anyway) and I bought 50lbs of really established live rock (thats why that weird spider starfish looking thingy came from along with other weird critters).

Damsels are doing fine, eating well, playing and really bright blue! I am going to give them away or return for store credit once I'm ready for the other fish.

My nitrate started to rise today so I'm doing a water change tonight. I'll probably start off slow with about 5% and do this daily for the next couple of nights.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrle View Post
If it is what I am thinking about, then they are nothing to worry about. You will notice a lot more on the bottom of rocks and stuff. I caught this one on the glass one day while doing something. Usualy you just see their arms sticking out of rocks. Wait until night and go and look when most of the light are off, with a flashlight, and you might find all kinds of other things to.
That is exactly what it is.. What is that called? It looks really cool and if he's not a danger to any other things I want to make sure I feed it the right stuff. Does it just eat the scraps of food that fall to the bottom?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, they just scavenge. I am not sure exactly what it is called, but it is some sort of bristle star.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #15

Brittle Star, Awesome! I guess he was living in the LR that I bought last week and decided to show himself this morning.

brittle star fish - Google Image Search
Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I saw a huge green one at this guys place that sells salt water stuff in my area. He had like 8 black ones and a GIANT green one. I think (am not sure) that these are a smaller breed and don't grow big. I have quite few hanging around.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #17

Here is a shot of tank I took with my phone this morning (sorry about the horrible quality), Day 7. Also, my wife called me this morning and said the kids found a small Green Star Fish coming out of hiding and a Red Flower looking thingy.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

nice tank... I'd like to see alot more LR in there
Old 02-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Your gonna find the joy of discovering little things in your tank. In order to have established bacteria sufficient to handle fish loads, feeding, and ammonia sources, yhour' gonna need a LOT more live rock for it to live on.

If I were you, I'd get a 20g tank, HOB skimmer, basic flourescent light, and a small heater. Put the damsels and the rock in it. No sand or cc. Kids can still enjoy it and discover.

Then remove the crushed coral, rinse, rinse, and rinse some more the new dry aragonite sand for the big tank. Get some base rock, and some more live rock - uncured. Then fix all those things you learned when you first set the tank up and said, "hmmmm, I coulda done that better".

Now, with that base rock and new uncured live rock, take your time to aquascape/stak it and monitor the ammonia. Add shrimp IF needed.

Now you got a good cyle with sufficient rock (100 to 150 lbs total) to handle a large tank fish bio-load. You got a QT tank to introduce new fish and ensure their health before they go in the main - where you'll never catch them by the way, as they infect and kill others.

Read article at this site on Quarantine tank (QT) setup.

Take the QT down easily after you're fully stocked and set it back up as/if needed to QT new fish or treat fish from the main with medications your main tank won't do well in.

Sorry.... I got a little winded.

P.S. - you going fish only or reef?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #20

Thanks for the great advice! It's obvious you've been through this many times =)

I plan on doing fowlr. I want to add a lot of colorful coral too, but I won't get into that until I know the tank is fully stable.

Just so everyone knows, I am planning to put about 200lbs of Live Rock in this tank so don't worry, I'm just doing this slowly. I should have a total of 100lbs in the tank by Friday night.

Question:

I put some very established live rock (50lbs) in this tank already and there are lots of little critters popping out now. I'm getting an additional 50lbs from the same guy but I'm getting pieces with mushroom growth on it and probably more critters. Would these mushrooms, live rock and established algae die when introduced into my tank?

Tags
compatibility, coral, crushed, crushed coral, fish compatibility

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com