crushed coral vs sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tryin to figure what I wanna do, swap over my sand or rinse some crushed coral. What do other use? I love sand but it shows EVERYTHING! lol just looking for some ideas... thanks!!!

Sand, absolutely... I had the same dilemma as you and chose sand... so smart, it makes the tank look very clean.

As for swapping sand, I would recommend just getting some new sand. Stirring up old, established sand will release a ton of bad toxins and nitrites.

Sand, absolutely... I had the same dilemma as you and chose sand... so smart, it makes the tank look very clean.

As for swapping sand, I would recommend just getting some new sand. Stirring up old, established sand will release a ton of bad toxins and nitrites.

My sand is only about a month and a half old. 2 clowns and a trigger. Been in there for maybe 3 weeks.

I'd still use new sand. Just get some sand from Home Depot and rinse it really well [I show my sand cleaning process in my reef build thread]. If you're worried at all about losing the beneficial bacteria, get a small bag of live sand to put on top.

I'd still use new sand. Just get some sand from Home Depot and rinse it really well [I show my sand cleaning process in my reef build thread]. If you're worried at all about losing the beneficial bacteria, get a small bag of live sand to put on top.

Only problem with rinsing new sand is that its 15* here in iowa and my outside water is froze. Could I rinse the sand I have as its pretty clean. And won't need as intensive cleaning?

You could use the same sand, but I would still wash it thoroughly. Your fish are very hardy so they should be fine. Make sure that the water coming out of the bucket is clear before you set the sand in the tank.

i would not wash it. i wouldn't touch it. new tanks are not going to be perfect for the first few months. let the tank and sand bed mature and eventually it will be white.

mr_X said:
i would not wash it. i wouldn't touch it. new tanks are not going to be perfect for the first few months. let the tank and sand bed mature and eventually it will be white.

I want to rinse a little. After removing my lr there was a little waste in the water. The lasr rhing I wanna do is put everything into the new tank and have it have a chemical release and kill everything...

Back
Top Bottom