crushed seashells to live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparky1513

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We're thinking about changing the crushed seashells in out 75g to live sand. a couple years ago when we started this tank we didnt have anyone to guide us...bought the wrong everything is seems like!....got the right equipment now but never got the live sand. We wanted it not only for the health of the tank but i think it would make cleaning an easier job and i think it also more aesthetically pleasing....any comments or suggestions on how we should go about it....we have a variety of corals including frogspawn, lobos, green tree, sun polyps, mushrooms, candy, as well as LT anemone, banded coral shrimp, 2 false clowns, 2 yellow tail damsels, a royal gramma, and a mandarin goby

1st, skip the "live" sand and get the dry aragonite sand, and rinse well. 2nd, do you have any where to house your corals? I switched out CC and sand for plain sand. I have a 55 and did about 1/4 at a time, over a 4 week period (this can be done quicker). Make sure you have some extra PWC ready too.

no this is our only sw tank...nowhere to store the corals.....we might be moving soon...you think we should just wait and do it all during the move??

When I moved my tank I used a 90g pond that I had to hold my LR and a tote from Walmart for all my corals and fish. If you are planning on taking everything out of the tank to replace your sandbed then I would just wait for the move. No sense in upsetting the balance of your tank 2 times in a short period.

I agree with Ziggy in that I too would wait until you move; otherwise, section off the sandbed into 4 sections and siphon out a section with a large diameter hose. Once you have rinsed your dry aragonite sand (as Roka mentioned) you can add it back to the tank by either inserting a large diameter pvc pipe and pouring sand down it or placing the sand in a bag and releasing it once at the bottom of the tank. Both methods should minimize clouding. Be careful in not compromising the rock structure's integrity with your sand removal. You do not need to remove every inch, just the bulk load in open spaces would be adequate. Because you have a mandarin, I would siphon a section once, maybe twice a month to allow adequate fauna to reincorporate itself within the new sand. The old sand can be rinsed through with sw, using a brine shrimp net to catch any amphipods or other "critters" to be placed back into the system, if you desire.

Great points. Remember to turn off your water moving equipment while adding the sand. I used a bowl full of sand and slowly moved it to the bottom of the tank and gently poured it out of the bowl.

thanks for the suggestions!....anyone ever moved a tank?...ive got 8 or 9 buckets and rubbermaid containers for the water and coral....anything i should really be prepared for??

anyone ever moved a tank?
How far?
I moved twice and just recently moved my 75 from 1 side of the room to the other to make way for the 125.

Depending on how far of a move, have at least 25% of new sw mixed and ready to use. Have enuff storage containers to keep all your rock seperate from your fish and a seperate container for corals.

moving into a house...approx 3-4 miles away...so pretty much everything is going to have to come out of the tank...

If you are taking everything out of the tank, I would suggest a few bio wheels or new sponges to be put in your current tank to cultivate your beneficial bacteria, to avoid a new cycle. Once cultivated, you can remove the shells, fish, LR and corals, move the tank, refill and place the new sand, LR, sponges/bio wheels in the tank and watch your water parameters.
You can do a search on "moving tank" and you will find quite a few threads on the subject, on this site.

I agree with waiting till you move. That way you can just replace the CC with sand and be good to go once you replace the LR and everything else.

Back
Top Bottom