Crustacean only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaHemCheck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I am not new to keeping aquariums but have some questions. I live on the beach and find scallops, crabs etc on the beach everyday. And i am wondering if keeping a crustacean only tank from only wild caught items is frowned upon. I am only looking to have a smaller sized tank. I have never kept a salt water tank and I am not sure what it would entail since no fish would be involved. What kind of filter I would need etc.

Thanks,

Do some research into general saltwater systems. We have a great articles section here that should get you started. Then do some research into "cold water systems," which are people doing exactly what you are talking about. The one major setback is that you will constantly need to chill your water as the coastal waters here are much colder then the normal tropical reefs where most of our animals come from. Chillers can be very expensive. Any invertebrate/crustaceans are going to need very similar care to a tank with fish in it. They all live in the same water after all.
Finally check with your local Fish & Game department and see what your state/county rules are on collecting certain specimens.

Back
Top Bottom