Culligan RO water machine mishap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanoluvr

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been going to Walmart the fill my 2, 5-gallon water bottles at the Culligan water machine. The water is carbon, RO, and UV filtered. I have been using this water for months, and it's been great. I do bi-weekly PWCs on my 10 and 20 gal. reefs, and weekly on my 3 gallon reef. After doing the water changes yetsterday, I noticed that Xenia in the 10 and 20 were sliming profusely. GSP in the 3 and 20 retracted fully. Today, xenis are shriveled and retracted fully. GSP have minimal extension. LPS in 10 and 20 are unaffected. Rics in 3 are unaffected. Does anyone know of anything that could have been in the water that could have affected the more sensitive soft corals like that?

Below are pics from tonight

Attachments

• DCFC0015.jpg
    DCFC0015.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 106
  • DCFC0016.jpg
    DCFC0016.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DCFC0017.jpg
    DCFC0017.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DCFC0018.jpg
    DCFC0018.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 83
Here is one more pic from tonight, and then some healthy comparison pics....

Attachments

• DCFC0019.jpg
    DCFC0019.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 93
  • DCFC0004.jpg
    DCFC0004.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 94
  • DCFC0005.jpg
    DCFC0005.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DCFC0010.jpg
    DCFC0010.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 83
Hmmm, I'm not really sure, maybe they need to change their filters....
Did you do anything different, like not heat up the water or let it aerate?

Chlorine is a thought, like you said. I know it is kind of late, but if you can get your hands on a swimming pool Cl2 test kit, it will tell you if you have any in your water. Not that it will be accurate, but you would expect to see none....

Heck, if you have any prime lying around, add it.

Good luck!

nope. I used this same salt last time. Reef Crystals. I mean...It is a new container, but I opened and used last PWC. No Negative results.

I have also used culligan water in the past with no problems, I agree with sparky697 and put in some prime if you have it, can't hurt anything.

Back
Top Bottom