cure and uncured lr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SassyAngel111

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I mix cured and uncured lr? I already have about 10lbs of cured fiji lr. just wondering. Also can some one give me some hints on how to cover up the equipment in the tank.

If you are still cycling your tank, mixing the two should be ok. I wouldn't worry about the equipment. You may be able to hide some over time with liverock, or just wait for it to be coated in coralline algae. Alot of people run sumps on their tanks to help hide equipment like heaters, filters and skimmers.

my tank has been up for about a month now and I have not seen any spikes at all, even a week after the tank was set up, here are the readings from this morning:
ph= 8.0 test used mardel
alk= 2.97 test used salifert
no3= 0 test used mardel
no2= 0 test used mardel
sal= 1.022 deep 6
nh3= 0 test used mardel
As for the bed I have 20lbs of live sand. Should I be using a different brand for the tests?

With the cured liverock you have, I'm not surprised your readings are all normal. That happens with good cured rock, you see very little if any at all, of a spike. With the addition of uncured liverock though, you will see a spike in your parameters that may last only a few days to a few weeks depending on how quickly your already established bacteria can break it down. If you don't have any fish or inverts in the tank, I wouldn't worry and just let it ride itself out. If you have livestock in the tank, you'll want to watch the parameters closely and do partial water changes to keep the numbers down and your tank as stress free as possible for you fish and/or inverts.
Salifert is a good brand. Mardel, are these testing strips? If so, I would look into a liquid test kit, they are much more accurate. Also, the deep 6 hydrometer can give low readings on salinity. A refractometer is a much better tool for measuring your salinity. With nothing in your tank, your salinity is fine at 1.022. Fish will be ok with that as well. Inverts would appreciate a higher salinity in the range of 1.023-1.025. If your considering corals, you'll want to have your salinity at around 1.025 also.

Thanks Which brand of liquid test kits are better. At this time I don't have uncured lr, I was just curious about putting uncured lr in I do have 1 green chromis in the tank which I just put in about three days ago. Again thanks for the info

you can try to hide the equipment with the rock, but if that doesnt work, you can paint it black, or get a black background (painting looks more professional and sometimes the sw will get in between the background and the glass and its a pain to clean), that way the equipment just blends in with the background. or make a sump.

I think my hubby is rethinking about going with corals right now, If we were to get coral safe fish then I think we could add the corals at a later date? Could someone give us a good book for starting a reef tank. As for the painting the back glass I don't think that would hide all of the equipment, and we had done the black background and that just stinks to clean the glass. Say if we were to paint the glass black what paint would be safe at this time in the game? Thanks agian for any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom