curing beach sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsmith

Aquarium Advice Addict
So taking the familiy to the outer banks next month was thinking about taking some sand and rock.. i know id have to cure the rock but what's the easiest way.. or am i looking to far onto things .. its a 12 hour drive from the beach. Any ideas? _:):banghead:

Sand is usually harvested off shore. The beach sand is loaded with stuff you don't want near your tank and if you clean it up, it looses it's bio load. If you dive and it is permitted, go out a ways underwater and harvest some. Same thing with rock, it must not have pollutants on it.

You should first see if it is legal.......maybe you should think about getting the rock and sand from a LFS....but that's just me.......

I havnt found anything otherwise that states it is not. With that said melosu with that artical given states day or two out of water but what about max 12 hours im guessing 10 like the norm but you never know. even if I keep in sea water?

I know the best bet is still cure it just wondering how long it would take.. last time i ordered live rock took over 3 weeks to cure with that same method.... think I would have to cure the sand?

I have to second the recommendation to not get the beach sand. It may work out fine but at the same time it could have a lot of bad stuff in it. When they get the sand off shore we are talking miles, not yards and in much deeper water.

If you get it I would spread it on a tarp out in the yard for at least a week or so to let it dry and kill off anything you can. Once that is done rinse it really well and then soak it in a large can or something and test for the normal stuff after a day or so and see what you get.

This may sound a bit over-the-top but I wouldn't want to risk my tank just for some sand...

I my self had picked up some sand from the gulf. Before I am gonna put I in my tank I plan on letting it dry all the way then washing it in very hot water to kill off anything. I plan on doing this over the next month or so.

Be sure it is legal to harvest rubble rock in your area. I would sure sterilize it before using in a tank, which kind of defeats the purpose, but too may harmful organisms and toxins could be introduced. I am sure if you are careful enough it will work out fine.

Im in Kill Devil Hills essentially across from the Wright Brothers museum and the dunes... Just closer to the ocean... I want to try to find a place down here where you can find pieces of rock even if they are dried up on the beach... That would sure beat paying for it by the pound haha

Found no answers... not going to do sand since pool sand is so cheap... havnt found any good rock just rubble.

There is no real reason to get live sand anyway. Petsmart as sugar grain dry sand 30lb for $20. With the time and hassel you will spend collecting the sand, drying it, washing it, and hoping its ok, it just wont be worth it. Im almost positive collecting any kind of live rock is illegal. Reefcleaners has great rock and free shipping. All you really need is one piece of live rock to seed the sand and other rock.

I looked its not .. they only have restrictions on marine life.. I even called state park south of here.

Back
Top Bottom