Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
why the sarcastic tone?

could also have something to do with the fact that I've been doing this for decades and know what I'm doing.
There's no sarcastic tone, but I want anyone reading to realize that just because you add a rock (or even a couple small rocks) from an established tank doesn't necessarily mean you will have a shorter cycle. Actually, the bottled bacteria states it will do exactly that, so it may have had absolutely nothing to do with the rock.

As for being in the hobby for decades..
I'm willing to bet you use absolutely nothing you learned 20 years ago.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
There's no sarcastic tone, but I want anyone reading to realize that just because you add a rock (or even a couple small rocks) from an established tank doesn't necessarily mean you will have a shorter cycle. Actually, the bottled bacteria states it will do exactly that, so it may have had absolutely nothing to do with the rock.

As for being in the hobby for decades..
I'm willing to bet you use absolutely nothing you learned 20 years ago.

Well the biology at play hasn't changed much in at least a few billion years, so I fear you are way off base on that assumption.
The only thing that has changed is the methodologies/equipment employed, but it is still the same basic principles involved, always has been always will be.

But why do you seem determined to "poo-poo" what I did or my advice regarding it?
You do realize that seeding a new tank/filter with material from an established tank is THE BIT OF ADVICE THAT IS MOST OFTEN OFFERED IN THESE FORUMS?

Should I just assume you have taken a dislike to me personally and will automatically adopt a contrary position to anything I post, because that is exactly what you have been doing, even to the point of contradicting yourself.

The advice I offer is always sound and based on tried and true principles.
It may not be the way you do it, but it is always good, sound advice based on firm science and years of experience.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ps...
it wasn't a couple of rocks, it was rocks, matrix and ~2lbs of sand and mud that was very active with bacterial life, which I mentioned in my first post regarding this.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think you are reading me wrong. I was simply making a joke about old "methodologies/equipment employed" as you put it. I don't even know you not to like you.
I'll try to spell it out better next time.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:58 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You should aim for as many crevices and places for your fish to hide in if necessary and still try to provide room to swim around. How it ends up looking in the end is only defined by your own creativity and imagination.

So would you say I have enough cracks and crevices?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I think you are reading me wrong. I was simply making a joke about old "methodologies/equipment employed" as you put it. I don't even know you not to like you.
I'll try to spell it out better next time.
Fair enough
although I am using things I have had for over 30 years...:p
Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom14 View Post
So would you say I have enough cracks and crevices?

It looks ok, but you will have better idea when you have fish in there.
One thing is to try to make it so water can easily flow around the rock without any big dead spots where detritus can accumulate. So if it is piled up against the back wall, you may want to move it more to the center so water can flow around the back easily.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it looks good. The more you can make it kook like their natural environment the better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Big buckets, big powerheads, optionnal heater, a bit of live sand or a piece of cured rock and/or Seachem Stability.

Wait 2-3 weeks, mesure ammonia, nitrites and nitrates to see when happens with thoses rocks.

It worked for me for rocks I bleached with bleach. After two months they were back in showtank.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I'm using shrimp to start the cycle. Might sound stupid but where should I place it? Does it matter? On the rock or sand?

Tags
curing, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com