Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2014, 01:10 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
When you introduce BB via "live" rock, filter media, etc. you are not "cycling" the tank but rather "seeding" it with BB and hoping for a good colonization. The system does not go through a cycling phase, but rather a lag phase in which the seeded BB can colonize the "clean" material to a point of being able to handle the bio-load.
If I have a new tank and I use 50/50 of LR and base rocks am I not cycling the tank before it is safe for my livestock? In my understanding Nitrogen Cycle is a continuous process of converting Nutrients to Nitrites into Nitrates and Nitrogen consumed by algae which is back to food and so on. You can not have a tank to cycle (safely) if you do not have enough BB to consume the bioload. I would like to emphasize that cycling does not happen only once or only when setting up a new tank. Stable tanks continuously perform this cycling process. We just use the term CYCLING in new tanks when we are trying to produce more bb to maximize the conversion process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
Old 12-14-2014, 01:24 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
If I have a new tank and I use 50/50 of LR and base rocks am I not cycling the tank before it is safe for my livestock? In my understanding Nitrogen Cycle is a continuous process of converting Nutrients to Nitrites into Nitrates and Nitrogen consumed by algae which is back to food and so on. You can not have a tank to cycle (safely) if you do not have enough BB to consume the bioload. I would like to emphasize that cycling does not happen only once or only when setting up a new tank. Stable tanks continuously perform this cycling process. We just use the term CYCLING in new tanks when we are trying to produce more bb to maximize the conversion process.

Isn't that pretty much what I said?

True, the cycle is ongoing, but the commonly thought of process when talking about "cycling a tank" is the initial first colonization of the required bacteria, true?
So in that sense and with the commonly accepted definition of "cycling", no, you are not "cycling" the tank when doing a 50/50 mix, you are "seeding" it with bacteria.

I honestly don't know what is hard to understand about the difference.
it really is a matter of semantics and not science at this point....

and I pronounce it to·ma·to with the long "A" sound.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you saying that with 50/50 rocks you do not need ammonia and the seeding will just take off on its own? If you are adding ammonia it means you are still CYCLING the tank.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone on all the info I've got another question. I want a deep sand bed but don't have enough sand I would like to top it up with live sand but I don't have enough sand to do that with my other marine tank. So I wanted to know what sand product had the most life in it? As I've been told live sand in bags isn't very live. So how am I going to get a lot of live sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
There is no way anaerobic bacteria can travel in a high oxygen environment. So, you aren't seeding the tank with this at all. It's already present in low oxygen zones before you add a drop of salt water. Up to a few years ago, you could google pectinia coral, and it would come up as sps. Truly a mass copied mistake. I'm sure there are many others, including this misconception.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
There is no way anaerobic bacteria can travel in a high oxygen environment. So, you aren't seeding the tank with this at all. It's already present in low oxygen zones before you add a drop of salt water.
Correct and in base rocks they may have those anaerobic bb inside them but may not have the aerobics bb. When we seed the tank with LR it's not the former bb that we are seeding but the later bb. That is the reason why we keep the LR wet when moving to new tank.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom14 View Post
Thanks everyone on all the info I've got another question. I want a deep sand bed but don't have enough sand I would like to top it up with live sand but I don't have enough sand to do that with my other marine tank. So I wanted to know what sand product had the most life in it? As I've been told live sand in bags isn't very live. So how am I going to get a lot of live sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
This is a new topic and I would suggest to copy it and paste to a new thread.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Are you saying that with 50/50 rocks you do not need ammonia and the seeding will just take off on its own? If you are adding ammonia it means you are still CYCLING the tank.
Nope, I did not say that at all, simply that what is taking place is different in the two scenarios.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
There is no way anaerobic bacteria can travel in a high oxygen environment. So, you aren't seeding the tank with this at all. It's already present in low oxygen zones before you add a drop of salt water. Up to a few years ago, you could google pectinia coral, and it would come up as sps. Truly a mass copied mistake. I'm sure there are many others, including this misconception.

What?

again, not a misconception at all.
I honestly do not know what you are getting at with this one.

what is your point about high oxygen zones?
If seeding with rock that has anaerobic bacteria colonies present within, why do you assume that they would not survive when being introduced to a new tank?
how could it be present in dry rock?
what you posted really makes little sense nor is it scientifically sound.
Again seems as if you are being contrary simply for the sake of it.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well let let me say it simple then. Curing and seeding are both parts of CYCLING.

Closed Thread

Tags
curing, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com