Curing dry rock for a beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raven1770

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to saltwater; question is do you HAVE to cure dry rock and must it been done in a separate tank? I have 1 36gal tank and want to get started.

If its dry rock there's nothing alive on it so just rinse it off and put it in. If you use tap water to rinse it off let it dry before putting it in.

If your are just getting started you can cure rock during the cycle. Basically it serves the same purpose.

Just be sure to test for PO4, i am curing my dry rock in my tank for 1 month then doing a 100% water change and then starting the cycle. I am sure the rock will cycle some now but i want to make sure there is no PO4. BRS has a great little video to explain what to do with dry rock

Ditto on the BRS video; they have a bunch of videos on how to cure rock, set up the tank, etc.

I am about to start my first cure, as well, and plan on doing a 100% WC after the ammonia hits zero.

Why do you have to do a water change after it cures, doesn't that defeat the purpose of cycling your tank with the rocks?

You should wait for ammonia and nitrite to zero out, then do a water change when you only have detectable nitrate. You don't need to do 100%. 30% or so would be fine really, depending on the nitrate level.
A water change does not remove the bacteria. most bacteria resides on surfaces. the rock, glass, and substrate.

I think the reason most people do a 100% change is to get any dissolved organics out of the tank. Running carbon while you're doing the cure would achieve this, and help cut down on any stink, too...

I don't think most people do a 100% water change. this is the first time I am hearing of someone doing a 100% water change after a cycle.

I am more worried about removing PO4 from the rock at the moment than I am cycling the rock. I have Freeze Dried Krill that I use to feed my BTA when I had it

you don't need to do a 100% water change i used dry rock from goreef same stuff that brs has i believe and curing the rock and cycling the tank are done at the same time. i did a 20% pwc after cycling and everything has been fine for 8 months now

you don't need to do a 100% water change i used dry rock from goreef same stuff that brs has i believe and curing the rock and cycling the tank are done at the same time. i did a 20% pwc after cycling and everything has been fine for 8 months now

Depends on my PO4 and NO3 levels. if PO4 is still high I will do a 100% water change and see how they are after that. I will do what I can to reduce the chance of algae bloom. After I do a water change I will add an ammonia source and see how quick its gone. The 100% water change to to reduce any PO4 that might have leached from the dead rock, some rock does some rock doesn't just depends on where they got it from.

Back
Top Bottom