Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2004, 10:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Curing live rock questions

I have ~8 pounds of LR that has been curing in a 5g bucket for a bit over a week now. I bought this at a LFS the same day they took shipment of about 100 pounds of new LR. The rock was shipped to them in insulated boxes wrapped in wet towels. The LFS said I should treat it as uncured since they just got it and had not even checked it out for themselves. I bought four rocks total, three were from the new shipment and one was a rock they have had for weeks and no one wanted it. I have done two 50% water changes during this time and vacuumed of the rock and bottom of the bucket during each change. In the bucket I have a 175gph power head, and it is heated to 81F as well. The bucket really stunk for the first couple days, but barely has a scent now. I ran a 50/50 NO light over the bucket for about 12 hours a day the whole time.

Today I tested the ammonia level. It is ~0 on my FasTest kit. I checked again to be sure, same results.

At this point, I have a few options, not sure what to do. Here are my options.

1) Leave the rock in the bucket and let it be, check again in a few days.

2) Dump out all of the water in the bucket, refill with fresh saltwater, check again in a few days.

3) Add on piece to my tank and see how it goes. Then add the rest of the pieces one at a time.

4) Add all of the new rock to the tank.

Thoughts?

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would add it all !

Old 12-10-2004, 01:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is too late now to mess with it, I will see how everything is tomorrow. For now, here are the rocks in the bucket (powerhead turned off):

I stuck all the rock in upside down, not much to see here :P

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 12-10-2004, 01:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
IMO a couple more days wouldn't hurt, if the ammonia is 0 again..then add it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would also wait a little bit more. Remember "only bad things happen fast in this hobby"

I usaully do a water change after I add the rocks. Than do another wc maybe 2-3 days later.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I stuck in one rock from the bucket to test out in the tank. Seems good so far, I am going to retest the tank and the bucket and if both check out, I will add the rest of the rock. Feels good to start stacking rocks too, everything has been in a layer across the bottom until now:

The left and back rocks are going to stay where they are. The three remaining new rocks will go on the right and I am going to try and keep view of the Tonga rock already on the right. My snails will miss that big open area though.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock

Tags
curing, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com