Curing live rock questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have ~8 pounds of LR that has been curing in a 5g bucket for a bit over a week now. I bought this at a LFS the same day they took shipment of about 100 pounds of new LR. The rock was shipped to them in insulated boxes wrapped in wet towels. The LFS said I should treat it as uncured since they just got it and had not even checked it out for themselves. I bought four rocks total, three were from the new shipment and one was a rock they have had for weeks and no one wanted it. I have done two 50% water changes during this time and vacuumed of the rock and bottom of the bucket during each change. In the bucket I have a 175gph power head, and it is heated to 81F as well. The bucket really stunk for the first couple days, but barely has a scent now. I ran a 50/50 NO light over the bucket for about 12 hours a day the whole time.

Today I tested the ammonia level. It is ~0 on my FasTest kit. I checked again to be sure, same results.

At this point, I have a few options, not sure what to do. Here are my options.

1) Leave the rock in the bucket and let it be, check again in a few days.

2) Dump out all of the water in the bucket, refill with fresh saltwater, check again in a few days.

3) Add on piece to my tank and see how it goes. Then add the rest of the pieces one at a time.

4) Add all of the new rock to the tank.

Thoughts?

It is too late now to mess with it, I will see how everything is tomorrow. For now, here are the rocks in the bucket (powerhead turned off):

cure.jpg

I stuck all the rock in upside down, not much to see here :p

IMO a couple more days wouldn't hurt, if the ammonia is 0 again..then add it. Better safe than sorry.

I would also wait a little bit more. Remember "only bad things happen fast in this hobby"

I usaully do a water change after I add the rocks. Than do another wc maybe 2-3 days later.

I stuck in one rock from the bucket to test out in the tank. Seems good so far, I am going to retest the tank and the bucket and if both check out, I will add the rest of the rock. Feels good to start stacking rocks too, everything has been in a layer across the bottom until now:

nr.jpg

The left and back rocks are going to stay where they are. The three remaining new rocks will go on the right and I am going to try and keep view of the Tonga rock already on the right. My snails will miss that big open area though.

Back
Top Bottom