Curing LR = Dirt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys.

I got my 29 gal setup almost completed. Ammonia 0, nitrites are minimal, nitrates coming down with water change. My problem is that, I keep losing the magnificent color of my LR to this "dirt" looking stuff. It lays on my sand bed, gathers in the crevices of my rock, everywhere. I stir it up to get it caught in the HOB (which is too small for the tank, I haven't gotten a new one yet), and it does nothing. It just floats around and lands in a new spot, then seems to double in amount.

It's kinda light brown stuff that looks like dirt. My decorator crab loves to attach it to himself...it is covered with it. What is this? I scrubbed it all off when I got my rock. Is it dead rock? Hermit crab or Snail poop? Any ideas?

Thanks alot!

I think it is waste from the worms and other critters that live in the rock. I am getting tons of this on my new live rock as well. I blow it off with a turkey baster, then I try to catch it in a hose when I do a 10% water change.

i have the same problem in my 25 gal. sw tanks i got 3 snails in my tank and i went away on the rock. as for your sand just syphon it.

That live in the rock? Woah. I hope I don't have THAT many things up in those rocks. I've already been blown away at the amount of hitchhiker critters I do have...I don't need anymore!

Back
Top Bottom