curious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mazdaz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:DHi everyone,

Just wanted to know from anyone with a bit more experience than me,
i have just started a reef tank and after cycling the tank with live rock i got a pair of false ocellaris clowns and a pair of black melonistic ocellaris clowns. They get on fine most of the time, and the 'common clowns' seem to have paired up (one of the reasons we picked them in the shop) and the black ones seemed to have a close relationship in the shop too.

Now at home, the 'common clowns' and one of the black clowns from time to time pick on the smallest of the black clowns. Is this normal? or am i going to have a problem later on? They all went in at the same time, the false ocellaris are a bit biger than the black ocellaris, but i was under the impression that they are ok in pairs if they go in at the same time.

Anyone got any thoughts? please forgive my newness to this :cool:

Are they trying to hurt it? or are they just picking. I have maroon clowns the smaller one kinda shakes. IMO it is normal its usually them trying to figure out dominance. I'm new to Sw too. so you might want to get some other opinions.

They dont hurt it, and the strangest thing is that when the lights go out, they all shoal together and are like best buddies.
The ocellaris clowns chase the smallest black clown, then the other black clown will also chase the smallest one. It always kinda turns over and shakes and then they all go back to swimming around before it happens again 5 mins later.

First off welcome to AA. What size tank do you have? In most tanks 55g or less don't have enough space to house two pairs of clown.

Thanks. Its 55g, i know the size aspect is boarderline, but was told its better to put them in pairs, and never put 3 as 1 will get bullied. i don't know the truth behind that. i've kept freshwater for ages, but am new to marine.

It seems that your fish are not true pairs and they are testing each other to reform pairs. The smallest may be a victom. Just watch them and seperate if nessasary.

thanks everyone, will keep an eye on the situation.

I just got this feeling that 2 pair of clowns will develop worse aggression problems sooner than later. You could do it in a 6 foot tank, but in a 55g, I'm thinking that's too much.

I have two true percs in my 90G and they sometimes have a bit of a tussle. The more dominant one tends to nip at the anal fins of the other. It happens a couple of times and then it doesn't. It sure hasn't stopped them from following each other around the tank.

That dominance is how your fish determine who will end up as the Female. The larger of the two will normally become the female. Keep your water Qualiity high and the nipping should not be a problem.

is my reef set up its a 5 foot tank and its 460 litre tank whats that in gallans? u always talk about gallens and in england all i c everyone useing litres:) sorry for a thick question need to go bk to school lol,

Back
Top Bottom