curly q anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
We have a curly q anemone that has had a tragic accident. He has been sucked into the fuge intake and had all his curly little arms cut off. I couldn't tell if he was dead or not so I put him into the fuge. When I put him in there he was a little glob of snot. He has since filled out and turned light colored again. Again, I cannot tell if he is alive or dead. Is it possible that he could be alive and will eventually grow back his tentacles or should I just throw him out? Also is there anyway to tell for sure if he is dead yet? By the way he was the one in the poll for the October picture of the month.

If it starts to decompose, turn slimy and fall apart, remove it. That means it's dead. Maybe he's recovering, so keep an eye on it. Good Luck

Is it possible that he could be alive and will eventually grow back
It's possible, curly-q's are very hardy anemones. I think they are actually closely related to aiptasia. Be careful w/ small fish and inverts, I had one- then it ate a fire shrimp. Good luck w/ it.

Well what do you know. Today I looked in on her and she was swollen up with 6 or 8 little tiny (1/8 to 1/4") tentacles. I put some invert banquet in the fuge for her. I would not have believed it if anyone had told me. Her tentacles were in every one of my powerheads and she was literally less than the size of a quarter of slime ball. and dark grey. And I even accidently dropped her in the wrong side of the fuge with the impeller before I finally got her in the fuge part. I think it is quite possibly a miracle. They must be ultra hardy but I'm sure it will take her a while to get back to her former splendor. Thanks all.

update: she now has all her tentacles back and they are about 2 inches long and I just put her back into the main display. Hope she learned her lesson but just in case I've turned off some of the powerheads till she finds her niche.

Back
Top Bottom