Custom hood questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to upgrade my lights already... I have a 4 bulb 260 watt coralife fixture....2 10K bulbs and 2 Acentic bulbs...I want to dissasemble the fixture and attach it to the inside of a wood hood I will make. Can I just add 2 MH lights to the inside? Or do I need more for a 55 gallon tank? I know I need to put come computer fans to cool it, but I also am not going to totally enclose it. I'm going to keep the back open.

sure. You can get stand off's for the socketts and screw them to the inside.

1: Don't place the bulb over a cross brace. It will cast a shadow.

2: should have a bulb for every two feet of tank length. Unless you only want one end bright.

3: if your going to have the back open, then i suggest you install the fans so they are sucking air out.

Good Luck! (y)

ReefRaff said:
sure. You can get stand off's for the socketts and screw them to the inside.

1: Don't place the bulb over a cross brace. It will cast a shadow.

2: should have a bulb for every two feet of tank length. Unless you only want one end bright.

3: if your going to have the back open, then i suggest you install the fans so they are sucking air out.

Good Luck! (y)

Thanks,
I was going to take apart the the light fixture to toss the metal housing. Then put one MH light over each side of the tank. It's a 55 4 ft long. So the PC lights will be light and so will the MH and then kill the 10000K bulbs, run the MH and then at night kill the MH bulbs and run the Actinics at night...

Back
Top Bottom