Custom Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BenPadelski

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone ever have one built? If you did, who would you recommend build it? My budget for a sump for my 120 is about $350-$400.

Why not make your own a 55 gal should fit under you stand all you'll need is 4 pieces of glass and a tube of silicone

I dont believe in DIY sumps. They never come out the way they should.

Checkout Melevs reef.com there's plenty of good info on DIY sumps. Or your lfs will gladly make you one. I made mine and it works great.

My local fish store doesnt know crap. Honestly. It is a joke. I drive 45 minutes out of town everytime I need something because I refuse to give him business. And Id rather a manufacturer build me one. Like life reef or trigger systems.

I've seen some reel good acrylic sump units but everyone that's seen mine loves it. It's real easy it has a simple craft bin with three drawers for the media. Ill attach pics.

Attachments

• image-3179760195.jpg
    image-3179760195.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1691325172.jpg
    image-1691325172.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 90
  • image-3849594972.jpg
    image-3849594972.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image-1731464690.jpg
    image-1731464690.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 156
Ben, you can build yourself so much more in a sump for so much less. I looked at prices, and a basic sump is $200, without pumps or skimmers. For only $50 you can build a large sump, saving most of the money for your return pump (~$100) and the rest on your skimmer.
My sump was a manufactured sump, but I bought the whole system used, so it was a deal. Only 2 sections, the first section for the skimmer, cheato and rocks and the return section. Only 1 critical baffle in the entire sump, with a second bubble trap baffle that is not critical, even if it leaks (but it doesn't).
So simple and cheap to build. Only 1 rule, glass tank sump means glass baffles, and acrylic tank means acrylic baffles because silicon doesn't stick long term to acrylic, and glue doesn't work well on glass. "That was EASY"

OK, 2 sections, the first section and the return section. That wasn't clear on rereading.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom