CustomSeaLife Double Helix UV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RCSALTY

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum, so I hope that I am posting my question correctly.

I have been using a CustomSeaLife 9 watt Double Helix UV on my 29 gal live rock/fish/invertebrate tank for about 1 year. Recently, I opened up the sterilizer casing to check on the bulb inside. I was shocked to find quite a bit of what looked like "soot" inside. I contacted Customer Service and they said they were aware of the problem. They said that the UV light is reacting with the internal materials (ie: reflector). Upon further investigation I noticed that all of the metallic parts inside (clamps, screws, baseplate, & reflector) appeared to be severely deteriorated and that the plastic tubing had a white haze on it.

Have any of you guys had this problem? What did you do about it?

Customer service said I could send it back, but it didn't sound like I was going to get a replacement -- only that they were going to check it and send it back to me.

What do you think? Thanks.

Double Helix UV - update

Just to let you guys know, I spoke to Custom Sea Life again today and mentioned my displeasure with the current condition of my UV and they said they would replace it. I have to pay for shipping back to them and they take care of the rest. Looks like they have added some improvements to the original design.

I will let you all know how it turns out. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom