Cutting Acrylic tank top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aztlan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, another question. I got my wet/dry but the overflow box is too big. It will fit inside the tank, but I need to raise it higher to get a higher water level. The top of the tank has cutouts, but not big enough to raise overflow box through. Can I just use a dremel and go at it? Cut out part of the top to leave room to raise the overflow box?

Thanks again

I would think in an acrylic tank it would be easier to drill the back and use a bulk head and bulkhead screen to use for an overflow ;)

Sounds like a great idea. So I would need to drill two holes on opposite sides. One for return and one to go to the sump. What size holes do you recommend? Or just one hole for the bulkhead overflow? Would I just add L shape PVC pipe inside the tank from the bulhead to get the correct water level?

Thanks

So I would need to drill two holes on opposite sides. One for return and one to go to the sump

Yep. Or you can just do the drain and run the return over the side. I'd go with two, just make sure you can get a siphon break on the return line.

What size holes do you recommend?

You'll have to look at the bulk heads, I would recommend a 1.25-1.5" bulkhead for the drain and 3/4 to 1" bulkhead for the return. The holes will need to be bigger than the bulkhead, usually 1/4" to 1/2" bigger.

Back
Top Bottom