cutting costs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad.Sedore

Aquarium Advice FINatic
well one day id like to move my 29 gallon to at least a 75 gallon... preferably larger... now my biggest cost will be the LR correct... so could i say put a piece of base rock in my 29 gal every month or so.. let it become live... then put it into the 75 gallon tank with no lights on it... just circulating pumps? would the bacteria stay live... is this a good idea?

-Brad

Just as good as any IMO. As long as your not dumping fresh, uncured rock into a new tank all the bacteria will go with. Just don't go overboard on dumping new rock into your 29g.

Happy reefing!

I personally think it`s a great idea. That way you`ll be good to go when the time comes. You dont need lights for the nitrifying bacteria to take hold.

I would just cure three of four pieces that way, and then put a load of BR into the 75 with those pieces.

There is no need to cure every piece of BR if it is going into a new tank. You just need to seed the tank with a couple pieces of LR and the BR will become LR during your normal cycling process.

sweet. id definitly keep a few peices in there untill the day of the big set up so they get covered in coraline so i have some way to seed that growth. so just a couple powerheads and water is needed? heater needed? skimmer? filter?

how often should i change the water in the 75 before i cycle... do i even need a substrate to begin with?

-Brad

If you do this, you'll want to continually add an ammonia source to keep the bacteria alive while they're waiting in the 75.

10-4

is there a big demand for cultured rock. i know there is no retailers for it around here. could i use as a source of income for the tank itself?

-Brad

If you could make cured LR I`m sure there are those that would buy it. Alot of folks buy it for the little critters that come with it also.

It will become live doing this , but it will take forever before you can enjoy your 75 gallon main.

I'd personally rather just save up and buy nice live rock piece by piece .

If you could make cured LR I`m sure there are those that would buy it. Alot of folks buy it for the little critters that come with it also.

Tampa Bay Saltwater has an interesting video on how they set up their LR aquaculture, the critters, etc.

Anyway, I for one would buy LR from a private source.

I`ve seen how they take a barge of rock and dump it in the bay and later sell it as LR. Sounds like a plan to me. I`ve always considered Tampabay SW LR one of the best.

It will become live doing this , but it will take forever before you can enjoy your 75 gallon main.

I'd personally rather just save up and buy nice live rock piece by piece .

For me id get just as much enjoyment out of knowing i may have saved a small part.. but a part none the less of the ocean and the real reefs.... wow.. when i got into the hobby i could have cared less.. research really changes your view points i guess.

anyways. crunching some numbers and it seems like it may work. about 3.25 a lb for base rock. maybe sell it for 5? 5.50. how long does it take for base rock to become "live rock"

-Brad

It's tough to compete with online sales, where you can get LR for in the $2-$3 per pound range. It's a great idea, but just be aware. This is why local stores have such a hard time selling rock as well.

For 3.25 a pound for base rock, unless it's something special you can get LR cheaper as well.

its the stuff from big als... just basing it rough... the way i am looking at it if some sells ive cut costs and if some doesnt.. ive still cut costs by making my own LR... not hard to compete with big als whos rock is 6.99/lb

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom