Cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJ-MIK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This stuff is overtaking my tank. Rocks and gravel are all covered.. Params are all good.. What do I do?? Anyone ever try the vodka of peroxide method?? I don't want this stuff killing my corals.. I tried taking it out. But when I touch it.. It's spreads even worse!

Suck it out, more flow and cut back on feedings, dosing anything only complicates it. It hides the symptom and doesn't fix the cause

I've sucked it out 3 times. Only for it to come back worse.. And I'm only feeding once every 2-3 days.. And lights are on 8 hours a day.. Well 1/4 of my tank is dark since I had a light go out. But it's still growing.. I had it in my fuge so I shut the light off for two weeks. Then it spread into my display.. 150g tank and its all over every thing now..

Although a lot of people are agaist it I used Red Slime Remover and it took care of the problem and never came back. It kills the bacteria. Cyano isnt an algae so traditional things lile light reduction dont seem to work. I tried the suck it out method but it just spreads to fast. Thats my advice....

I turned off the lights in the fuge and it went away. Dark for two weeks. Turned it back on and within 4 hours it was coming back.. I've used algae fix before. I might start using again. I heard it was bad for corraline. But I've read in forums that it does not hurt it..

I had cyno in my tank and I used both vodka and vinegar to remove nitrates and phosphates which is one of the main causes of cyno. Either one works well but the vinegar is a much cheaper alternative. It took my nitrates from around 80 to 0.

My tangs ate my cyano in 24 hours and I haven't seen a single bit since :)

That is highly unusual because tangs don't eat cyno as a matter of fact the only thing I've heard of that will eat cyno are crabs

I had cyno in my tank and I used both vodka and vinegar to remove nitrates and phosphates which is one of the main causes of cyno. Either one works well but the vinegar is a much cheaper alternative. It took my nitrates from around 80 to 0.
Let the fish get drunk once a while I guess won't hurt lol

Oh well I guess I'm a lucky girl, both yellow tangs and my flame angel went to town in fact the tangs had it all over their faces it freaked me out until I figured out what it was.

I used the Vodka dosing method in my first sumpless tank. It, in combination with 'Nitrate Destroyer' effectively removed my nitrate problem. However, both require a skimmer.
Vodka makes the protien strings longer, making bigger bubbles and increasing the effectiveness of the skimmer.
Nitrate Destroyer is a bottled bacteria that will consume nitrate and convert it to nitrogen. They have very short lives and do not reproduce in an oxygen environment so daily dosing is required. Corals and other filter feeders will consume bacteria. Skimmer will as well.

Cyano is a form of a bacteria. By dosing something for algae will it work too? Since bacteria will strive on oxygen I wonder if depleting your oxygen level will get rid of it. If so, lowering down your PH may help a little bit. That is by minimizing water surface agitation to reduce oxygen and lower PH. Just a thought.

Iv heard Seahares will eat it...just what I heard though its not set in stone or anything.

I dosed the tank with chemiclean.. All cyano is gone. That stuff worked wonders!!

I just did a second water change after dosing and been testing params... Everything is 0.. Alk is 10. Calcium is 500... All corals are full bloomed except my Kenya tree.. It's been hiding for a few weeks now.. And fish look great too...

Back
Top Bottom