cyano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilismom1

Aquarium Advice Activist
do i have it? this spot has been here since i bought the tank (used). has not grown any bigger, just more noticeable since all the old coraline algae is dying off. i have turbos, is there anything else that eats it since medicine is a no no?

looks like it to me, are you using ro water?when we had it hubby sucked it out with a turkey baster(now used for tank only yuck) since ro unit it has not come back.

Yep it's cyano. Do you run a protien skimmer?

Cyano is caused by increased nutrients in the system and poor waterflow.

I would do a waterchange, siphoning the cyano as you go, begin skimming, cut back on feedings, and increase circulation. If that is the only spot in the tank and it doesn't spread...it is probably the circulation ;)

like i said, i bought the tank used and he only had a magdrive 500 in the sump. i have added another 620 gph of flow since making a total of 1120 for 72 gal tank. i do have a skimmer also. so i should remove it manually? what's the best way?

When you siphon out water for a water change...stick the siphon hose to the cyano, should pull it right off. If you want to remove it when not doing a water change, use a small diameter hose (airline tubing), and siphon it out.

Back
Top Bottom