cyano..algae.. not sure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jereli

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so for quite some time I been battling this issue on my sand bed as you see in the picture. In the beginning my phosphates were 0.25 and nitrates 0. But since then I have added a phosban reactor. Now Phosphate 0 nitrate 0. All other parameters test good. My question is.. other then phosphate and nitrates, what else can cause something like this on my sand bed. I have posted previously on this issue and I was advised that it was my phosphate which are now at zero. Any ideas

forgot to add the photo. Here it is. Its from my cell phone so it looks a little funny

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110812_193425.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110812_193425.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 165
How old is your tank? Looks like diatoms.
Doesn't look like cyano.

I'm no expert, though.

It looks like rust.. I am not sure what can cause this stuff other then phosphates and nitrates which are at zero.

I use a four bulb t5 and run them for only 5 and half hours. The bulbs are around 4 months old.

Hmm some ppl say increase lighting time to help with brown algae. It doesn't like light. Water changes will help too.

I am on the winning end of a green water problem right now. It's frustrating.

Jereli said:
I use a four bulb t5 and run them for only 5 and half hours. The bulbs are around 4 months old.

You need to have at least 8 eight hours of light from your daylight bulbs,looks like your clam is definitely not getting enough light.Increase the lighting and move him higher in the tank or you will lose him.Check your water flow,that could be part of the problem to.
IMO

I have enough flow. But l can Definitely increase my light. I cut it back thinking that was my problem. Any thing else that can contribute to this? Should I be skimming wet? I skim more dry then wet

To me it looks the the start of cyano. As mentioned above we have a great article about it in our SW article section.

In the process of cleaning my sand bed I been removing alot of sand.. would it be okay to just put sand on top of the algae or cyano?

Back
Top Bottom