Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cyano as a nutrient export system?

I Have cyano in my sump, could I keep it in there as a nutrient export system or does It reproduce in the water column?

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will only reproduce if there are excess nutrients. The whole point of refugiums is to grow algae and cyano there instead of the tank, so that's what it's doing. Just leave it.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what I was thinking. I have a bit more of a unique story though, the sand is from my dt. I'm going barebottom and I'm putting the sand into the fuge. It wasn't originally there, so I was wondering if it would still be okay. It really shouldn't matter though, as long as it doesnt grow using the water column to spread like bubble algae does when popped, right?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
That's what I was thinking. I have a bit more of a unique story though, the sand is from my dt. I'm going barebottom and I'm putting the sand into the fuge. It wasn't originally there, so I was wondering if it would still be okay. It really shouldn't matter though, as long as it doesnt grow using the water column to spread like bubble algae does when popped, right?
Cyano is not a macroalgae it is a sign of poor water quality might wanna find out whats causing it some has been known to release toxins in the water it not algae its bacteria and wont export nutrients in most cases it feeds off metals added in topoff water and new sw mix that arent ro/di di is the process that removes metals from the water
Old 07-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE="danbstrong"]

Cyano is not a macroalgae it is a sign of poor water quality might wanna find out whats causing it some has been known to release toxins in the water it not algae its bacteria and wont export nutrients in most cases it feeds off metals added in topoff water and new sw mix that arent ro/di di is the process that removes metals from the water
Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just read your quote about moving your sand thats the cause when you disturb the sand it release all the nutrients and elements that it has trapped over time
Old 07-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

I already know why I have it, it's a mixture of things. I added a fish to my tank, And for some reason every time I add a fish to my tank, I get some type of algae outbreak. I account this to the bacteria not being able to handle the total load. I was gone for a week so I couldn't do any water changes to compensate for the missing bacteria. I'm now just getting through it, I was just wondering if it would be bad to have in my sump I'd say not. Another reason might be my rodi, as you said. I'll be taking care of that at some point also.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I already know why I have it, it's a mixture of things. I added a fish to my tank which, And for some reason every time I add a fish to my tank, I get some type of algae outbreak. I account this to the bacteria not being able to handle the total load. I was gone for a week so I couldn't do any water changes to compensate for the missing bacteria. I'm now just getting through it, I was just wondering if it would be bad to have in my sump I'd say not. Another reason might be my rodi, as you said. I'll be taking care of that at some point also.
Right on i dont add anything anymore my tank is overgrown but when i used to add a fish or inverts id also add a lil biobooster to compensate the only algae ive ever had was cyano that time i stirred my sand real bad outbreak lasted 2-3 weeks then as it started dieing off it released toxins that stressed my coral that was 3 years ago
Old 07-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Biobooster? Like a refrigerated liquid thing I'm guessing? I haven't seen any coral stress other than my birdsnest, but I'm having issues with that anyways. Do you know if distilled water would have metals in it? I'm guessing not, but idk. I might switch to that for a little to see how it goes.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Biobooster? Like a refrigerated liquid thing I'm guessing? I haven't seen any coral stress other than my birdsnest, but I'm having issues with that anyways. Do you know if distilled water would have metals in it? I'm guessing not, but idk. I might switch to that for a little to see how it goes.
Ya just boosts your bacteria when add to the load it always seemed to help i did read not to long ago that some companies use metal containers for their distilled water and some use copper plumbing so idk about it personally never used it hope it works out what type of birdsnest do you have?

Tags
cyano, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com