Cyano as a nutrient export system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Have cyano in my sump, could I keep it in there as a nutrient export system or does It reproduce in the water column?

It will only reproduce if there are excess nutrients. The whole point of refugiums is to grow algae and cyano there instead of the tank, so that's what it's doing. Just leave it.

That's what I was thinking. I have a bit more of a unique story though, the sand is from my dt. I'm going barebottom and I'm putting the sand into the fuge. It wasn't originally there, so I was wondering if it would still be okay. It really shouldn't matter though, as long as it doesnt grow using the water column to spread like bubble algae does when popped, right?

needmorecowbell said:
That's what I was thinking. I have a bit more of a unique story though, the sand is from my dt. I'm going barebottom and I'm putting the sand into the fuge. It wasn't originally there, so I was wondering if it would still be okay. It really shouldn't matter though, as long as it doesnt grow using the water column to spread like bubble algae does when popped, right?

Cyano is not a macroalgae it is a sign of poor water quality might wanna find out whats causing it some has been known to release toxins in the water it not algae its bacteria and wont export nutrients in most cases it feeds off metals added in topoff water and new sw mix that arent ro/di di is the process that removes metals from the water

danbstrong said:
Cyano is not a macroalgae it is a sign of poor water quality might wanna find out whats causing it some has been known to release toxins in the water it not algae its bacteria and wont export nutrients in most cases it feeds off metals added in topoff water and new sw mix that arent ro/di di is the process that removes metals from the water

Just read your quote about moving your sand thats the cause when you disturb the sand it release all the nutrients and elements that it has trapped over time

danbstrong said:

I already know why I have it, it's a mixture of things. I added a fish to my tank, And for some reason every time I add a fish to my tank, I get some type of algae outbreak. I account this to the bacteria not being able to handle the total load. I was gone for a week so I couldn't do any water changes to compensate for the missing bacteria. I'm now just getting through it, I was just wondering if it would be bad to have in my sump I'd say not. Another reason might be my rodi, as you said. I'll be taking care of that at some point also.

needmorecowbell said:
I already know why I have it, it's a mixture of things. I added a fish to my tank which, And for some reason every time I add a fish to my tank, I get some type of algae outbreak. I account this to the bacteria not being able to handle the total load. I was gone for a week so I couldn't do any water changes to compensate for the missing bacteria. I'm now just getting through it, I was just wondering if it would be bad to have in my sump I'd say not. Another reason might be my rodi, as you said. I'll be taking care of that at some point also.

Right on i dont add anything anymore my tank is overgrown but when i used to add a fish or inverts id also add a lil biobooster to compensate the only algae ive ever had was cyano that time i stirred my sand real bad outbreak lasted 2-3 weeks then as it started dieing off it released toxins that stressed my coral that was 3 years ago

Biobooster? Like a refrigerated liquid thing I'm guessing? I haven't seen any coral stress other than my birdsnest, but I'm having issues with that anyways. Do you know if distilled water would have metals in it? I'm guessing not, but idk. I might switch to that for a little to see how it goes.

needmorecowbell said:
Biobooster? Like a refrigerated liquid thing I'm guessing? I haven't seen any coral stress other than my birdsnest, but I'm having issues with that anyways. Do you know if distilled water would have metals in it? I'm guessing not, but idk. I might switch to that for a little to see how it goes.

Ya just boosts your bacteria when add to the load it always seemed to help i did read not to long ago that some companies use metal containers for their distilled water and some use copper plumbing so idk about it personally never used it hope it works out what type of birdsnest do you have?

Alright, I'll just stick with rodi then, not too worried about it. I have a seriatopora guttatus. It's a brown skeleton with green polyps, very pretty IMO.

needmorecowbell said:
Alright, I'll just stick with rodi then, not too worried about it. I have a seriatopora guttatus. It's a brown skeleton with green polyps, very pretty IMO.

I think i have it does yours grow very tall? mine doesnt lots of short branches hard to frag

Here.. Like I said though, pretty gnarly looking because I have too much light, its getting better slowly.

Attachments

• image-1174763967.jpg
    image-1174763967.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 59
needmorecowbell said:
Here.. Like I said though, pretty gnarly looking because I have too much light, its getting better slowly.

Bout the same as mine maybe a lil bit longer branches mines more like a bush than a birdsnest

Back
Top Bottom