Cyano in sump only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty Fraiser

Aquarium Advice Activist
Red cyano is taking over my 30 gall sump. Have chaeto in there and it seems to be choking it out. Run a reactor with Gfo. All levels check good and there is absolutely o cyano in my display tank. Should I try to vacuum it out or leave it be?

Nope, I'd leave it in there personally. It's not an eyesore in the DT, and it's working for you in a way. If you do decide to siphon it out, make sure to turn off the return pump so that none goes back up into your DT.

If you want it gone just increase the flow through it or throw a small powerhead on the opp side of the cheato. I would just monitor it personally, I let hair algae and other nuisance grow in mine. Doesn't grow in dt so all good.

It is there for a reason. Like stated above, this is one if the reasons we have sumps. Mine is plagued with nuisance algae growth, but it keeps it out if my display. Because of that, I would not increase the flow unless you try growing algae in there. The cyano is consuming the crap out of your water and I'd want to keep it like that. Either remove it and chance it showing up in the display or have it return or address the issue with the usual ways to nix cyano, improve water quality.

So, reduce feedings. I only feed my tank twice a week.
Keep feeding to a minimum, only what your fish will consume in a short time frame.
Use ro/di water to ensure your problems are also coming from your water supply. If not an option, atleast use distilled water, just buy it for 88 cents a gallon at walmart it wherever.

Yea my fuge section has cyano also.. But I run my light 24/7... Because of the caulerpa I grow....
Is you light on all the time??

Can you take a pic of it? Just curious how much you have in there

Thats more than likely your main problem, I would bet if you just ran your sump light at night. Until you main display lights come on it would slowly disappear..JMHO........

This is what mine looks like.... But display is algae free.....

image-1537193855.jpg

image-784428758.jpg

Back
Top Bottom