cyano in the fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can not control it. I shut the fuge down on saturday scrubbed it down sifted the sand and syphoned the water and did the water change. Today it is already back and I am noticing a light dusting in the main. My nitrates are at 15! My phosphates are at .50 So I guess another water change tommorrow. Man I have not had an algae problem in a long time. It all started when I put the fuge in. The macro is growing great. I don't understand why the nitrates are so high. One thing I should mention though is that my Tang is a PIG and gets seaweed pieces everywhere! I try to scoop out what I can, could this be a problem?

wow, you haven't had your fuge up that long. Sorry to hear of the cyano issue. Your fuge is a sweet setup. I can't imagine why you have so much in your fuge, I imagine that you don't have much water flow in there (and a fuge should not have much, i know), but perhaps that's part of it.

Jim

Yeah I am gonna keep at the water changes and hope for the best. My RO/DI checks out at 0. I am looking for some mangroves now. I realize this process will take a while. Please tell me that the seaweed is fine, cuz she really loves it, shes just really messy with it. Just not sure if it pollutes the water.

If your PO4 is good out of your RO, then you are adding it after the fact, probably via food. For the record macro algeas are better at removing excess nutrients and phosphates than mangroves. What they do work in the same manner they grow much much slower and are hardly as effective for reef aquaria. IMO, more of a fad than than anything. Also, out of curiosity, what kind of salt do you use and has it changed lately?

R-

I heard that poor lighting (not bright enough) in a fuge can cause this problem as well. Has anyone heard the same thing? I do have the same problem, but it seems to contain itself within my fuge. I use an 18w Jalli power compact light, but it doesn't really seem that bright.

Back
Top Bottom