Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2004, 04:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cyano issue

I have what looks to me like cyano in my 90 gal tank. The only thing in the tank is LR and a cleaner crew. since i don't have fish, over feeding isnt a problem. I plan on changing the flow in my tank around some to hit the effected areas. I also plan on upgrading the skimmer i have. I understand you want to remove as much of it as you can, but if its just a thin film on the rocks and glass how do you remove it? I cut down on the time the lights are on and I use ro/di water. Any thing else i can do? I want to get rid of it before adding anything to the tank.

Old 06-28-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I feel your pain! I have been battling for awhile myself. I remove it by taking a small line of tubing and siphoning it out the display with this line. You can start the siphon easy enough by sticking it up to a PH. I only feed every other day(blender mush), try to run phosguard, use RO water, etc. Still has me in its clutches.

I have tried to re-direct my PH's which has done the best but my cyano is on the substrate mainly and it is had to get flow everywhere. I have 3 maxi 1200's and a mag7 return on my 75.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I know I'm gonna get yelled at for suggesting this, but here goes...
After I followed all the great advice I received in AA forums, multiple large water changes, siphoning off, reduced feedings, upgraded skimmer, increased current, even got rid of two fish and moved a third to another tank and my cyano got worse!!!!

In the end I gave up and treated my tank with Poly-Ox. Made by Kent Marine. After about a week I noticed the Cyano was dieing off. I have an old canister filter that I rigged up to use like a vacuum cleaner. I filled it with carbon and cleaned all the substrate, dumping the cleaned water over a poly pad back into the sump. I did one more water change and have had little to no problem with Cyano since (about a month). Whenever I do see it creeping back I pull out the canister and sweep it up again.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:16 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
so then what you are saying is that the treatment with chemicals is not a cure all.

anyway, if you have nothing in there that requires lighting at this moment, shut off all your lighting for a week. This will help you get a handle on the problem...continue the water changes and siphoning and it will eventually die out.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
is that the red stuff. i had some of that and i did a large water change and then the hermit crabs ate it all up. they did a great job too. i had a patch that was about 8 in long and about 3 in wide. but i have not had a proble of it comeing back yet.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarOrks15
the hermit crabs ate it all up. they did a great job too.
I could be wrong, but I think most hermits avoid Cyano.....

As far as chemicals are concerned they are far less than a cure all and I use them only as a last resort. I doubt that the chemical by itself would have cured my situation, it combined with lots of work seemed to do the trick.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Chemi-clean by Boyd will clean it up in 24 hours.

Turn off the skimmer because it makes it overflow/bubble crazy until you do a large water change (it is a clarifier also) but your tank will be fantastic looking the next morning. I battled with the stuff for a few weeks and finally went chemical! Couple weeks later and no sign of the stuff still. It doesn't mess with any other algae in the tank, just the red slime.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not an attempt to hijack this thread, but for all us newbies out here,
What exactly is Cyano?
What does it look like?
What will it do to your tank?

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:19 AM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhtree
What exactly is Cyano?
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/bacteria/cyanointro.html

Quote:
What does it look like?
Green

Red

Quote:
What will it do to your tank?
Other than being unsightly, It will smother corals and coralline.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-29-2004, 12:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I agree that chemi-clean works great. I had Cyno from Jan-Apr, And I did everything to get rid of it. Nothing worked, I was stirring the sand every day because it looked so bad. My tank went from a cool addition to the living room, to a big eye sore. I tried chemi- clean, and it was all gone in a couple of days, and has not returned since. Over 2 months now.

SparkChaser

55 gal FOWLR
Mag 350, CPR BakPakII
50 lbs LR
4x65 watt cp
1 Flasher wrasse
1 Coral Beauty
1 yellow tang
2 perc clowns
1 Serpant Starfish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
Shrooms
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com