Cyano issues again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swiftler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon reef and months ago I had a cyano outbreak. I tried lowering feeding and I cut my lighting times down to 4 hours with no sign of improvement. I eventually cleared it up with 2 doses of chemiclean.

Well it's back again and this time after 2 doses and 2 20% water changes it's still going strong. I only feed a small chuck of food every other day and all parameters are 0 including phosphates. For water changes I only use ro/di or the premixed salt from my LFS. It seems to only be forming on the sandbed where ever the light shines. I just upgraded to 4 t5 unit from coralife so the bulbs are brand new.

The only thing I can think of is that I went back to using frozen brine an even though I was rinsing it before feeding maybe that caused the outbreak. I am now using my home made food of cod shrimp and oyster

Any ideas or suggestions

I have a new package of chemi pure that I was going to put in today to see I that would help. Skimmers bubbling and pulling out stuff. I've attached pictures of what I've got. I'm pretty sure it's cyano

image-4078938755.jpg

image-1535306413.jpg

Yep thats it! I to ran chemi clean and it came back. Chemi clean is just a band aid. I am running gfo and doing a 3 day lights out. Hoping that when i turn the lights back on and the cysno is gone the fact that i am going to double my amount of gfo that the cyano will be gone for good by out battling it for phospates

I don't think my corals (frogspawn, gsp, and toadstool) could handle a light out

From what I understand cyano feeds on silicates.. Once their food source is gone it will stop, but you have to get the cyano out of the tank, it won't just go away... I thought cyano was more brown, that picture looked purple to me.

They do in the ocean during hurricane season and mine are right now. 2 frogspawns, bubble tip anemone, toadstool, kenya tree. Xenia, mushrooms, zoa's, polyps, etc. many people seem to say the corals look better after lights out. Do some searches on it.

That's it. Do you have any flow over your sand bed?

Also- any livestock that turns over the sand like nassarius?

JustinKBreen said:
From what I understand cyano feeds on silicates.. Once their food source is gone it will stop, but you have to get the cyano out of the tank, it won't just go away... I thought cyano was more brown, that picture looked purple to me.

Diatoms feed off silicates, cyano is usually a result of low nitrates and high phosphates

Swiftler said:
I have a 55 gallon reef and months ago I had a cyano outbreak. I tried lowering feeding and I cut my lighting times down to 4 hours with no sign of improvement. I eventually cleared it up with 2 doses of chemiclean.

Well it's back again and this time after 2 doses and 2 20% water changes it's still going strong. I only feed a small chuck of food every other day and all parameters are 0 including phosphates. For water changes I only use ro/di or the premixed salt from my LFS. It seems to only be forming on the sandbed where ever the light shines. I just upgraded to 4 t5 unit from coralife so the bulbs are brand new.

The only thing I can think of is that I went back to using frozen brine an even though I was rinsing it before feeding maybe that caused the outbreak. I am now using my home made food of cod shrimp and oyster

Any ideas or suggestions

Are you using. R o water

I have 2 Hydor koralia 1050's running in each corner. I don't really notice any dead spots. I had to mess with it for awhile to get it not to blow around the sand so much. The frogspawn which is bottom middle seems to move with the flow so there is definitely moving water at the bottom

I use either ro/di with coralife salt mix or the premixed salt water from the fish store

Does this sound like a feasible idea....

Since cyano feeds in excess organics could I just lower the collection cup on my skimmer to create more of a "wet" skimate and just allow that to run for the next few days replacing the removed water with mixed ro/di

Back
Top Bottom