cyano or coraline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigben2057

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found this purple/ dark purple stuff start to exploded on one of my live rocks. Is it cyano bacteria or is it just coralline?

Attachments

• DSC01997.jpg
    DSC01997.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02001.jpg
    DSC02001.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 75
Looks like cyano. If you can remove it easily and it's slimy, then it's cyano. Coraline is very hard to remove even when using a fingernail etc.

It doesn't *look* like coralline in these pics, but there's an easy way to find out. Poke it! j/k, kinda. Try brushing it off. Coralline is hard and thin, cyano is soft, squishy, and will come off with a squirt from a turkey baster.

It came off so guess it is cyano. I got a rock last week with some zoas on it that had cyano and it cut it out, it must have spread.. Should i treat the tank with something?

First try to remove it all. I like to use combo toothbrush and airline tubing with siphon started to first brush it off, then suck it out before it settles somewhere else. If you're thorough, a few times doing this could get rid of it all. Follow that with a larger than normal PWC and really watch your feeding schedule and water parameters.
IF all that fails, use Chemiclean. But last resort, really. Requires going two days without a skimmer and a big PWC after that.

Ok thank you for all the help i will try to remove it with the tooth brush and suck it up thanks. Hope it works.

Back
Top Bottom