Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2006, 01:53 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

No worries about the hijacking...thanks for the helpful link.

One more thing...I have green hair algae on one of my powerheads, which I've just left there. Should I be vigilant about removing it or does it not have to be dealt with? I am wondering if there is a chance it could spore off or spread again. Does it have to been kept completely out of your tank? I've removed it from all other places but left the powerhead with it because it looks pretty cool with the water flowing over it.

Old 02-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
well, on the chance of going against mainstream hobbiests, I actually leave the hair algae that grows in my overflow boxes at the top..I will prune it once a month when I do water changes, but I feel it does a service in there by using up excess nutrients in the tank. I do hunt for any in the main tank to make sure I get it removed before it takes hold. That being said, I realize it wasnt much help to you.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

When you are starting out, it's all help. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

you could try to throw in a few blue leg and scarlet hermit crabs I was told they can help with that.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

How often do you have to feed your crabs? Do the algae eaters just feed off the stuff on the live rock or do you have to throw in a little extra every once in a while? I'm not sure they could sustain themselves, as I have a pretty clean tank.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I watch them every time I feed my fish. I have the same problem it just looks like they dont get enough to eat but they do. every once in a while I will throw in a couple extra pieces and make sure that they eat it because you dont want food in the tank that does not get eaten.

Tags
cyano, diatom, diatoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com