Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2003, 12:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cyano Outbreak, Again!!!

Dang it, i have a cyano outbreak in my tank. This has to be the third time. Guess im feeding the tank too much. I am going to cut the feedings down to once every 3 days, instead of every other day. What can i do now to fight the cyano already in the tank? Its strange too, i have a PH pushing water right across the front of the tank, and thats where the cyano is. 8O ACK!!!

Old 10-11-2003, 06:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
if it's any consolation i only feed every three days, with almost nill levels, and two maxijet 1200 PH in a 50G, and a Protien Skimmer. and i still get cyno. some of us are just plauged with bad luck.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 09:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRaff
if it's any consolation i only feed every three days, with almost nill levels, and two maxijet 1200 PH in a 50G, and a Protien Skimmer. and i still get cyno. some of us are just plauged with bad luck.
Its not...
Old 10-11-2003, 10:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What are you doing to export nutrients from your system? What do you use for source water? I don't think any tank should have to go without feeding for three days...if so, then something is wrong.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Quote:
What are you doing to export nutrients from your system?
For me it's water changes, and a protien skimmer
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 10:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 5 stage ro/di unit for my water. I have 120lbs of LR in a 55gal tank with a 3-4" DSB. I have a 10gal Americal Wet/Dry Sump with LR in it, and a 100 Micron filter pad in the trickle. I have a 10gal Refugium with LR, 1" of LS and Macro. I have a CPR in sump skimmer in the Fuge. I have 110w PC 10,000k running 10 hours a day, and 100w T8 with 2 Actinics and 1 10,000k running 12 hours a day. I feed my tank home made blender mush that i made with assorted fresh fish. I also feed DTs and Brine Shrimp for assorted corals. Finally, i use GAC.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can someone please tell what CYANO is?
Is it bad?
RT only or F/RT also?
What do you have to do if you get it?

When you say that you feed every 3 days, do you mean your RT or FO or R/FT?
Thank's
aldo got to keep learning you know.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

In my experience Cyano Bacteria (red slime) is most likely to form from elevated Nitrate levels, and / or water changes that use city tap (phosphates/silicates). Cyano seems to compete with hair algae for nutrients, or a shared nutrient, and you seem to get a mass of either, but in a constant balance.

I've also noticed a relation between DSBs and Cyano with the red stuff always forming on the top of the DSB in a large, smooth patch, or on plastic/vinyl equipment, but rarely any place else such as LR. Other correlations I've noticed is that red slime in a tank seems to severely stunt the growth of desired plants. Likely competition for certain nutrients once red slime gets established since bacteria will win all contests in this manner.

My suspicion is that there is some type of gas exchange going on with a DSB at the surface tha feeds red slime, but unique to a DSB since I rarely see red slime on healthy live rock. Maybe the ammonia/nitrite break-down that occurs right at the surface of a DSB allows red slime to grab nitrate before it can be grabbed by other competitors and turned into free nitrogen. I've also noticed that older reef tanks, even those I know are being replenished with city water, seem immune from red slime. I suspect a mature tank has enough biological competitors to starve red slime out of existence.

I have a 55 reef that gets minimal water changes, is literally *over-skimmed*, and has non detectable nitrate levels. Regardless, there's always a patch of red slime somewhere, but it never exceeds a total surface area and my corals are doing just dandy. Unless I see some other problems going on I simply ignore it since it's likely consuming something I don't want in the tank in the first place, and I'd rather deal with looking at red slime than Nitrate.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Try getting a lawnmover blennie, it will help out with the cyno and hair.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I lawmower blennie wouldnt last 2 minutes in my tank, so thats not an option.

Tags
cyano, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com