Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2006, 10:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to robertfah
Ok, well my light is brand new, only 4 months old and it's an Orbit 72" PC. My RO/DI unit TDS meter says water coming in and going out are fine (coming out it's 0 or 1) so I think I'm ok there. I will hit the LFS tomorrow and get a PO4 kit and test both RO water and water in tank to see how it is. Someone suggested on another forum that it may not be Cyano, but Hair or Bubble Algea? It does have air trapped underneith it and it looks like little marbles are forming from it. This crap grows so fast that it's hard to say what 'stage' it's in.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

can you post a pic? a TDS meter will not pick up nitrates and phosphates, a 0 is a good sign but may not be enough.
is it dark red and slimy to the touch? Does it kick up easy if you blow some water by it.
Cyno is very easy to syphon out and you don't really need to scrub it at all to get it off the LR.
bubble algae looks like green bubbles and they are not soft to the touch. Bubble takes time to spread, at least the bubble I have delt with. Hair algae looks kind of like grass..
A pic would help in the ID, Cyno does trap air, or release it??

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, here's some pics that I grabbed about 5 minutes ago. Keep in mind that I did a big WC yesterday and cleaned 99% of it and sucked out what I could.

This stuff is definately green....but there are case of it on my overflow box that are brownish/red.....ugh..so hard to tell. It's not the brown algea on the sand that I'm worried about, it's the green stuff. I removed all of it yesterday and there was no green algea on the sand, and now it's back after 24 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image3_770.jpg (92.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg image2a_627.jpg (7.7 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg image2_150.jpg (91.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg image1_488.jpg (63.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-28-2006, 12:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just read on dr. foster and smiths website that turbo snails will eat cyano. I just put one in my tank and he is eating my diatom like crazy.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
Couple suggestions.

1) More starfish. Simple sand sifters. Does your current starfish do much?
2) TON of cleanup crew. I've alike 60+ critters for a 55gal and then can't keep up. You'll most likely need like 160-200 I suspect. (Mix of Snails, crabs, etc.. etc..)
3) More water flow. Didn't see much in your tank but it appears you are pumping some air in the tank? (via Powerhead maybe?) I didn't see any powerheads so I figure this was a good spot to look? More water circulation kinda leans towards less cyano.

Your pictures to me indicate a larger cleanup crew is needed. Hermits and snails mostly.

HTH
Old 02-28-2006, 03:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
Yes. I read the articles above as well. I agree that large cleanup crews are NOT the total solution, but contribute to keeping the problem away after it's resolved. (Same as Hara's comments)
Old 02-28-2006, 09:37 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I've got 2 Maxi-jet 900 PH's on the back side of the tank along with the return from the sump. Maybe I need to move them to the side of the tank? My starfish is pretty active (he did alot of cleaning last night) but I think more would prob. help.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 90 gal and have had what I would call mild cyano problems on the sandbed. I'm doing everything "right" except that my cleanup crew has been lacking. About 10 hermits, 10 Astrea snails, and maybe 5 Nassarius snails. That's it for 90 gal.

So I just got 200 Nassarius snails (for $18!). I put them in yesterday. I'll post my results as I observe them. I realize this alone is probably not the cure but I think it'll be interesting to see the effect it has.

P.S. 200 snails is a LOT!
Old 02-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
So I just got 200 Nassarius snails (for $18!)
Where on earth did you get that many for so cheap?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Just hoping they/most don't die from starvation in such a young tank.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com