Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to robertfah
Cyano Problem

Ok, so I've got a cyano problem.....how can I get rid of it? It's been in my tank for about a month now and my levels are:

PH: 8.3
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
Ammonia: 0
Phosphates: not tested

All that in a 155g tank with 8 large Nassarious snails, 1 bali starfish, 2 skunk shrimp, 1 atlantic sea hermit crab and 6 or so blue & red legged hermit crabs.

I know I need to get a phosphate test kit, but it's been hard lately with the kids. At any rate, it's been like this for about a month and I've done PWC's every 2 weeks (of about 50-60g worth) and it still seems to be coming back. I've tried the Chemi-Clean that Foster & Smith recommend, but it's been a week on that and still nothing. It's continuing to grow back every time.

Any suggestions/ideas?

TIA,

RDF

Old 02-27-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I think you need alot more in the way of clean up crew ...not near enough critters for that size of a tank. The other is the phosphate issue of which you are already aware. Siphoning off the cyano and doing more frequent water changes using ro/di water as well as using ro/di for the water top off's is needed.

You might also want to read the following article
http://testing.aquariumadvice.com/ar...q=2&fldAuto=48

Old 02-27-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do have a RO/DI unit and use them for both WC's and top-offs, plus seeing as how there are no fish in there, I'm not over-feeding so I don't think that is an issue. I've also got 2 maxi-jet 900 PH's that are good for 230gph and a Mag 18b pump powering the return for 1800gph, so I don't think it's a flow issue either. Ugh! I do agree in that it could be the clean-up crew, so maybe I'll try that route after I read the article and see what it says.

Would a cleanup crew survive in my LS if there are no fish producing waste? Or would I just have to feed them the cyclopeeze and other items?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

They should be able to find things to eat on the rock, sandbed, glass etc. If there is truly nothing for them to eat, you can put flake food or nori in there and they would eat that. I am not sure on the bali star, it may require meaty foods, but I imagine you know what it needs already.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Can you aim your PHs so they point downward a bit. You may not have enough flow on the sand bed.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Can you aim your PHs so they point downward a bit. You may not have enough flow on the sand bed.
Right now they are on the back of the tank, but I was thinking of moving them to the side. I do have a long Y splitter on my return so I think there's enough flow going around the tank. When I feed Cyclopeeze, I can watch it flow throughout the tank fairly easily.

I think my major problem was that I was overfeeding (big-time) my fish at first. I lost 4 fish to Velvet and currently have 4 in QT land, so I'm trying to keep the tank fallow for 6-8 weeks to rid of the disease. So I'm not overfeeding anymore, but I think I stirred the pot already and now I have to get it under control.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get your water tested for PO4, both tank water and ro/di water to make sure the filter is removing all the PO4. If the filter is failing then doing water changes is just feeding the cyno.
Just so you know there is no snail or crab known to eat cyno. So dont dump lots of money into a cleanup crew thinking there going to do the job.
IMO you really need to get the water tested so we know what the problem is..
What kind of light do you have and how old are they.
Cyno feeds on PO4 and grows in low flow areas and old bulbs with the wrong spectrium bubls also helps it grow.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Just so you know there is no snail or crab known to eat cyno.
That is not true, many crabs eat cyano, many snails will eat cyano and there are even fish that will eat cyano.

Here is another article that even shows a photo of a snail consuming cyano..
http://www.fishforums.net/lofiversio...hp/t93611.html

Here is a database search for things that consume cyano..
http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/...rdirection=asc
Old 02-27-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have never had any luck and no one I know has had any fish, snail or crab eat cyno. I have Mexican Red Leg Hermit Crabs, Astrea snails and Trochus snails, cerith, nass, scarlet, blue leg, zebra and NONE ever touched it. I even placed the snails in the cyno and they just plowed through it to get to the LR or glass. If it was that easy to get rid of more people would be telling us about it. This has been my experience with cnyo, I have had it several times and the only way I got rid of it was changing out my old bulbs, getting the ro/di running with new filters and the last time I had to get a phosban reactor.
IMO inverts and fish are not a proven way to get rid of cyno.
I have seen a lot of people claim that they have cnyo eating snails, I have bought them and none ever ate it. Just passing on my info. I would invest in a test kit before buying snails or crabs right now. JMO..

what fish eat cyno??

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:23 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Koran Angels eat cyano

Nowhere do I claim that a clean up crew is the definitive only answer to combating cyano, but it does play a big part in fighting it successfully.

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com