Cyano problems continue...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I still can't beat my cyano problem. I'm now vaccuuming out cyano and replacing 10% water daily. I swear it comes back so fast that you can see it growing!

I've replaced my first two stages of my RO/DI filter. I haven't changed the RO since it is only 1 year old...and I haven't changed the DI since the color change is only 1/4, but the DI is next.

SPS corals seem to be able to fend it off and are doing fine, but my leather coral is loosing the battle. I haven't seen my star polyps open in 4 months.

Repeated doses of chemi-pure have done nothing. I'm running AC, rowaphos, and now I'm trying some Phosban as well. I'm feeding only once every three days now. So far, I haven't starved any fish although the clown is getting thinner.

I've reduced my MH hours by 20%. I've found that the cyano stays in check as long as I leave the MH off. I wonder what a month of darkness would do for my corals?

Have you tried UltraLife Red slime remover? Got rid of mine in 24 hrs. Just make sure you turn off your skimmer for a few days....

Circulation and UV filtration. Bottom line.

Place a power head flowing gently across the bed of your tank.

Additives will never solve anything, only add more problems, and possibly kill off other tank-mates. If your tanks can't fend it off, additives will only incur additional cost to your hobby as you will never solve the riddle... additives can only help push things away so much but you'll need natural (or continuous normal filtration) cleansing.

schoeplein said:
Circulation and UV filtration. Bottom line.

Place a power head flowing gently across the bed of your tank.

Additives will never solve anything, only add more problems, and possibly kill off other tank-mates. If your tanks can't fend it off, additives will only incur additional cost to your hobby as you will never solve the riddle... additives can only help push things away so much but you'll need natural (or continuous normal filtration) cleansing.

Are you calling ultralife red slime remove an "additive" ???

schoeplein said:
A medicinal additive -- sure.

I must assume from your statement that it might "kill of tanks mates" that you have never used this product?

I will agree with you though that water quality and/or lack of water movement is usually the culprit.

I would not be so quick to discount the product I mentioned above. I used it recently and worked like a charm and is the product of choice by many @ LFS and other reef forums on the 'net...

Here is a link with a description as well as reviews by others that have used the product: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=UL1311

I'm not here to argue your advertisement for whatever product your sporting. I'm glad it worked for you. I hope your tank continues to stay clear.

I've never had this problem (but know several who have had it), and can say that I haven't had to use any additional products to prevent or remove this problem. I must be doing something wrong because I haven't had to use this magic product.

:roll:

I'm dearly afraid of using any kind of substance that has the capability of killing this stuff for fear of killing other kinds of bacteria that I need.

Having said that, I did try Chemi-clean (very cautiously)...so I've reached that pretty desperate stage.

I can increase tank circulation somewhat, and I'll try that. The Cyano grows EVERYWHERE, including some places that have very high flow...so I'm not optimistic about that one.

UV sterilizer...that's one I haven't heard.

Brad said:
I've replaced my first two stages of my RO/DI filter. I haven't changed the RO since it is only 1 year old...and I haven't changed the DI since the color change is only 1/4, but the DI is next.

I would change the R/O membrane. Do you have a TDS meter and if so, what is the reading your getting?

UV kills all floating microscopic organisms, be it good or bad -- but wont kill your inhabitants ;). Can't really say its as much a plus as any said additives but my tank does great with it running 24-7 for the past 7 months.

I also use 7-cycle purified water, decent flow over the entirety of the tank, UV sterilization, and carbon filtration (not really to remove bacteria but any possible smell).

Hope you see some signs of success. :)

pearsont74 said:
is there any cleaning crew that eats this cyano??

Sure. Other microscopic organisms -- but typically cyano grows and reproduces at a much greater rate than whatever consumes it.

Reduce light
Increase flow to infected areas
UV sterilization
Use purified water.... (or more purified, whichever the case may be).
Water changes will help as well.

One good thing I've noticed is it will typically die/disappear as fast as it appeared. :)

Those all eat detritus, and other algae types. Cyano is a bacteria.

Some fish are listed to eat it, but no one has shown any significant benefit from using said fishes -- they simply can't keep up with the rate of reproduction of the bacteria.

Red slime. When it gets bad it looks like red hair growth all over your sand bed, can spread over your liverock and when its really bad even the back of your tank will be covered.

Its a bright, deep red. Like blood red. Not the pretty purple stuff that should be on your rock -- tho that looks like a "crust" formation on your rocks, not slimey or hairy.

Do a google search for images of "cyano bacteria".. you're bound to find tons of ugly pictures 8O

ok....the red hair is enough...i have it :(

so now Im in the same boat...I personally dont think waterf low will do anything to this.
I have alot of flow and it still comes back....plus if i move the PH to flow that area it will move to another area....so thats worthless
I really dont want to have to buy a UV filter....and honestly i dont see how that will resolve the existing cyano? I can only see it keepin it form coming back.
So Im left with lighting and water changes.
Granted I am not blessed to be able to top off with RO/DI water changes and Im sure this may be why I have it...so until I get that I think I may read up on an additive to help kill it
Lighting - I only have NO lights....granted its 160watts and I admit tend to keep it on along time
maybe Ill try to keep the lights off for a few days

Do you have a TDS meter and if so, what is the reading your getting?

Sorry...slow to read my own thread...and too busy doing another clean and water change.

I don't have a TDS meter. I've just been running on the assumption that my RO/DI system was working well because it was still well below it's expected life. I'll pick one up tomorrow and see what it says. I have a flush kit and I think I've taken good care of my RO membrane.

I had a terrible Cyano problem about 2 weeks ago. I used Red Slime remover and it worked GREAT!!

All of my fish and inverts all stayed alive and appear to be doin very well..

I also have a HEX and it appears to me that HEX are vulnerable to this problem becasue it is difficult to circulate the water (correct me if i am wrong)

Back
Top Bottom