Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cyano questions

Hello, my tank has some cyano (red algae) on the live sand. I've been reading a bunch of threads about cyano, but still had a couple of questions. I've been performing 10 - 15% weekly water changes and have even resorted to using chemi-clean. The chem-clean works for a few days, but the cyano always seems to come back. I use R/O water and I've tested for phosphate, but my test isn't showing high amounts of phosphate. I've noticed people suggesting to siphon the cyano out of the tank when performing water changes, but I had a question regarding siphoning. If I siphon the cyano off the live sand will I kill my biological filter and/or ruin the live sand? The cyano is only on a small area of the tank so I wouldn't be siphoning all of my live sand. Only a two to three inch area of a 30 gallon tank. I've also noticed a lot of people saying you need to determine "the source" of the cyano. How can I do this? As I mentioned, I've tested for phosphate and only use R/O water. What other type of "source" could be causing this problem? Finally, I've noticed people suggesting to increase the waterflow in the area. This could be part of my problem because I don't have strong water flow in that particular area of the tank. Why does strong water flow prevent cyano? It maybe a stupid question, but I had always assumed that if there was a strong water flow in the area, that it would only spread the cyano around the tank. Anyway, I appreciate any suggestions or info on my questions.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I've been performing 10 - 15% weekly water changes
try 20-25% and see if this helps.
Quote:
I use R/O water and I've tested for phosphate, but my test isn't showing high amounts of phosphate.
RO or RO/DI water? RO filters do nothing to remove PO4 from the water. That is the DI's job. What are the currnet PO4 levels in your tank and source water?
Quote:
If I siphon the cyano off the live sand will I kill my biological filter and/or ruin the live sand?
No. This is a good practice.
Quote:
I've also noticed a lot of people saying you need to determine "the source" of the cyano.
PO4 is maily introduced by two ways...water and food. What do you feed and how do you prepare the food?
Quote:
I've noticed people suggesting to increase the waterflow in the area. This could be part of my problem because I don't have strong water flow in that particular area of the tank. Why does strong water flow prevent cyano?
I would add a powerhead to your tank to specifically target the cyno area. The increase in flow will prevent the cyno from taking hold on the substrate.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What lando said!!!

When syphoning you only want to suck up the cyno and very little sand. Its hard but you can be done. I used to stick my finger over the end of the hose to control the amount of suction. You will get sand just keep it to small amounts.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You may want to try this ...

I have a 29gallon and when I started it up I had two PH's at the very top front of the tank pointed directly at eachother! This created a nice strong crash current but the way I had my rock stacked I was getting very little flow to the back of the tank!

So .... what I did was on my next water change I actually moved one of my PH's to the lower rear corner opposite of the one on top! When I was done with my water change and plugged the PH back in I noticed an immediate difference. I could see things gently swaying that were previously not getting any current! There is somewhat of a "whirlpool" effect but not very noticeable ... and my clown loves to surf the current!!!!

I have not (knock on wood) had a problem with cyano or any algea for that matter, so this may have been the key!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
just get this and it will rid you of your red slime
http://www.petsolutions.com/Red+Slim...I-C-37-C-.aspx

all that other stuff is fine and good but i tried that and didnt help and i wish i didnt waste my time and money on the amount of water changes and just got this
the PH definently doesnt make a different other then moving the cyano to a location that doenst have as much flow - no offence guys but these suggestions are old
Old 06-30-2005, 03:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No one is debating the issue of Red SLime Remover riding your tank of cyno. I am sure it works jut fine. However, it is Red Slime REMOVER, not Red Slime PREVENTER. If the source of the cyno is not identified and corrected it will come back.
Quote:
no offence guys but these suggestions are old
You say old, I say tried and true. I guess we will have to wait and see whose methods work better in the long run...although I already have a good idea
Old 06-30-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

pearsont74,
I have heard Red slime remover works well for the short term.. A lot of us offer advice that is chemical free so there is no chance of effecting any corals or inverts, fish.
There is a reason that cyno grows and you need to figure out what it is and fix it. Nothing good happens fast in the hobby, only bad things happen fast. You will see.
One of the keys is to syphon it out first that way it does not blow around, then add more flow so it does not have a chance to take hold.. Again you need to find the source of the problem.

And as always we only offer advice, so you can either take it or leave it.
I see you just completed your cycle on 6/14/05 thats good, I hope all goes well over the long run.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The pure factor of cyano development in my tank can be blamed soley on temperature swings...... I've stabilized my temp even more so, 79-81°F, and my cyano is slowly fading -- no longer red, but a pinkish/orangish color that's dissipating.

...when I first setup my tank it had cyano real bad -- killed the lights for an entire week (only LR and a couple damsels at the time) and that obviously killed it off...

But I can definitely, matter-of-fact, say that its based on temperature swings.

Why do we say increase the flow to the area? Allows beneficial bacteria to get to the area and its difficult for the stuff to grow in high flow.

Why do we say check PO4? ..cuz these cause your fish to die and some say it can be attributed to cyano growth (I'm skeptical).

Why do we say water changes? To help clean out your water, dillute all of your dissolved solids so there isn't as much of a supply for negative bacteria/algae. Why do you do water changes otherwise?...

Why do they say syphon it out? Well, I don't really see the point of this other than to clean your sandbed of detritus if you have a poor cleanupcrew as sucking the cyano causes it to break and latch onto your sand releasing its filth all over the tank.

Natural progression and a stable tank keeps the cyano away... 8)

...and I seriously wish people would stop sporting medicinal additives. Why why why when you can do it for free?? Not to mention potential side-effects.... There's no lazy, cure-all in this hobby.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
as much as i would love to rip into these statements, i wont...

bodie - use this info as advise and do what you think will work best and will resolve your issue
Old 06-30-2005, 05:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Why do we say check PO4? ..cuz these cause your fish to die and some say it can be attributed to cyano growth (I'm skeptical).
Actually, PO4 does not have a dramatic effect on fish, but it does on algae growth. PO4 serves as the main food source for cyno. Not sure why you are skeptical about this. It is a known fact that cynobacteria thrives on PO4.
Personally, I have used Chemi-clean with great results and have advocated it's use in removing cyno from a tank. But, like I mentioned, identifying and correcting the source of the cyno is paramount. If you use a chemical to remove cyno from the tank and use the techniques listed to prevent it from coming back you should just fine.

Tags
cyano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com