Cyanobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought so too so I bought a new test kit a week ago to make sure

ive heard cyano normally start appearing with levels of phosphate or the tank is near a window (sunlight) or your lighting might be on too long.

You could try just flicking off your lights and leave it in night mode for 3 days or so..... that'll kill it

Can Culerpa change sex and dump nutrients back into the water?

normally.... macroalgae can die and start seeding all over your tank/pipes which involves a massive clean up day to fix it.... lol but never heard of it dumping bad nutrients in the water

When it goes sexual it dumps excess nutrients back into the water raising nitrates and phosphate.

When it goes sexual it dumps excess nutrients back into the water raising nitrates and phosphate.

just read the article..... I stand corrected lol.... but it that only happens when it starts dying/seeding in the tank

but the OP said nitrates/phosphates are at 0 so it wouldnt be the problem though

The OP stated he has 0 phosphates but 40 nitrates. The cyano could be eating up the phosphates. But honestly I'm new to the saltwater world. Just trying to learn!

Your not gonna like the tang police that come in after me, but my hippo can clear and 8 foot tank in literally 3 seconds, let alone with a sailfin and what looks to be two other tangs.
I said that to say this... Your bioload is off the charts. You have four tangs in an 80 gallon tank, two of which call for a 180 or more. This is probably your primary problem. Your phosphate are going to be high as well as your trates which will cause any and all algae to take off. Any dead spots and wham, cyno. To eliminate it, your going to need to decrease your bioload, feed less, and do a higher percentage of water changes. Good luck, hope you can part with some or one of those beauties.

*even if your testing close to zero on your phosphates, that bioload is gonna produce some at least. A bigger skimmer is also going to help but I would start with your bioload issue and water changes more frequent and a higher percentage.

Your not gonna like the tang police that come in after me, but my hippo can clear and 8 foot tank in literally 3 seconds, let alone with a sailfin and what looks to be two other tangs.
I said that to say this... Your bioload is off the charts. You have four tangs in an 80 gallon tank, two of which call for a 180 or more. This is probably your primary problem. Your phosphate are going to be high as well as your trates which will cause any and all algae to take off. Any dead spots and wham, cyno. To eliminate it, your going to need to decrease your bioload, feed less, and do a higher percentage of water changes. Good luck, hope you can part with some or one of those beauties.
I agree. 12 fish is too many for an 80 gallon tank.

Yeah to be honest I was thinking that as well but when I asked my lfs they told me I should be fine

Yeah to be honest I was thinking that as well but when I asked my lfs they told me I should be fine

I listen to what a lfs will say, but always do your own research. Let's be honest, not only are they in the business of making money, but they don't know your tank like you do.

Back
Top Bottom