Cyanobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the best way to get rid of Cyanobacteria

Find out why is it growing in the first place. Too much feeding? One of the reason it grows and seems to be always the case is that Cyanobacteria grows because too much nutrition in the water.

Might help if you list a spec on what you have in your aquarium, what are you feeding and how much a day. Filters etc...

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 40
I've been fighting high nitrates for the past month
I feed my fish one cube every other day

Do a larger than average water change...double what you do. Take your nitrates of 40. Do a 10% water change, that only takes it down to 36. More water changes to get them down where you want them to address the cyano issue. Also, increase flow will help...but if the nitrates creep back up it will come back in the form of algae growth.

How many fish are you feeding? One cube is a lot of food. Cut back on your feeding 1 day yes one day no...How big of an aquarium do you have? What about your filter system....What is in your aquarium....

I have 12 fish I have a ref octopus skimmer and a refugium and I have a 80 gallon tank

I run carbon and use purigen along with my skimmer

Does your skimmer pull much out of the water? Also, if it doesn't skim much try rinsing your food. Skimmer performance can actually be hindered by oily food and from your skin.

I always thaw the food and and feed from my net, I never pour any of that nasty water in my tank

Is the skimming lite in color or dark. How often are you cleaning the skimming cup...not just water in there. Something is causing your high nitrates....

Whats in your refugium?

It's dark and I clean the cup once every other week i have caulerpa in my fuge and I do a 10 gallon water change every other week

This is puzzling. Looks like so far everything you doing is correct. Something is not & is missing in the equation. I will up your PWC for now to keep your nitrates down. How much pound of LR do you have in your aquarium? Post up pics of your whole setup I would like to take a look at it...How long has the system been up and running?

You are testing with an API test kit or other? Have you taken the sample to your LFS to double check as well.

Yeah it's been driving me nuts I have had my tank for a little over a year I have had several lfs test my water and even have a company come out to check my system and they can't seem to figure out what's wrong I'll post a pic of my tank and system

Good luck, bud! I hope someone else comes in and can figures out what's missing cause im out of what it might be. If you had others in the business come out and they cant figure out what is up.....wow... Still post up how much lbs of live rock you have.

If your fish stock is low I will spread out the food out more. You might want to at least post up details on how you got started and what have you done from the beginning to now. When someone else reads it they might find something that everyone is missing.

Ok here are a few pics of my setup and I have about 60 lbs of love rock ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388628406.683132.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388628421.986592.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388628437.285630.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388628454.998545.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388628468.136380.jpg

Back
Top Bottom