Cyanobacteria problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reedw20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve have very bad Cyanobacteria in my tank in the past couple days, in which it killed all my fish and coral. It has been smelling so rancid and last night I put in a Cyanobacteria chemical and it seemed to get rid of some of the red slime and the water is more clear (but still murky) yet the smell is still very bad for some reason, within the past 3 days I’ve done two 30% water changes. Is my tank getting better? Is the smell mean that something is off, and what can I do??

I myself don't like using any chemicals , cayno shows it's face in low flow areas more flow along with large water-changes with RO/DI would have yielded better results IMO it may take a few more days to achieve but you wouldn't have that nasty smell. as you would be replacing more of the water ,

now for the smell I'm guessing rotten egg simple fix remove the tanks top point one power head towards the surface so the water ripples air/gas exchange should resolve that in a day or so . in other words the tank needs to breath ,

as for water being murky add carbon you still have residue from the chemical you used.
Quick fixes always lead to other problems as your finding out , #1 rule of saltwater take your time and don't rush it , natural over chemical also yields results to be proud of.

remember chemicals = rushing nothing good ever comes from it . #2 rule Never Never listen to the clerk in a pet shop , they will sell you anything for a fast sale and 90% of the time they know very little to nothing about the product their pushing on you , they may tell you it's like liquid gold don't fall for it .

the only liquid gold I know of is RO/DI H2o

hope you get things straightened out always hate hearing about loss of livestock and coral as I know it's not cheap , in the past year I have noticed most of those online saltwater vendors that used to cater to the low budget are going a new direction they have become way too proud of the coral and livestock they sell, hard part is it's the same quality if not worse .

Last edited:
All the advice that you've been given needs to be followed. We've had several threads and posts pointing you in the right direction.
At this point, with all of your livestock dead, I would drain the tank and give yourself a fresh start. Scrub it with vinegar. Scrub your liverock in the old tank water and set it outside to dry. A dunk in freshwater will get any bristleworms out of there. Stur up the sandbed to get any gunk out of there you can.
This time, you need to start things up with ro/di water in the tank. This will give you the fresh start you need. Then you can cycle the tank, do a large water change with ro/di water and get some livestock. Then the weekly 10% water changes with ro/di water will keep things fresh and clean.
I know it can be a costly hobby and that you're a teenager, but at this point you are just throwing money down the drain. It needs to be set up right.

Back
Top Bottom