Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cyanobacteria Bloom

Ok so I just got back from college today, and my tank looks like this...cyanobacteria have carpeted the whole tank. My mom has been taking care of it....
She says she has not been feeding that much, I trust her on that. She has also been reducing the lighting but none of this has worked. We use RO/DI water from a water store to make the saltwater. I'm starting to wonder how great this "water store's" water is, although the phosphates read zero on my test.

My protein skimmer recently broke, so this could maybe have a role in it? Basically what I'm asking is, what natural ways can I remove Cyanobacteria from my tank? Will snails eat it? Will hermit crabs eat it? I have a product called "Anti-Red" but I'd prefer to go the natural way first.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-627027794.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	94009   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1981004306.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	94010  

-1 flame hawkfish
RYANLAWRENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Siphon it out when you do a water change.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check the nitrates and phospahtes both in your tank and from your water source. If you have a TDS meter, check that from your water source as well. If you are reading nitrates above 20ppm in the tank, you need to get ready for frequent water changes. If you are reading anything other than 0 from the water source, you need a new water source. If you are reading phosphates in the tank, get ready for water changes. If you have phospates or a TDS reading above 0 from the water source, get a new water source.

Next, look at your flow pattern. Cyano tends to like low flow. The skimmer does (or I guess did) help with some of these issues as well.

Unfortunately, nothing really eats it in any noticable quantity.

How long are your lights on? If it's more than 10 hours, cut it back. This won't eliminate it by itself, but it can help.

As carried said, your best bet to remove is to siphon out during partial water changes. You do want to make sure you aren't fertilizing it with high nitrates or phosphates. You can also try adding GFO in the filter loop to absorb some phospates as well. Many times the cyano is absorbing it as fast as it is produced, plus the phosphate kit really only measures inorganic phosphates which is supposedly as little as 2% of the total.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

the phosphates read 0 because the cyano is eating it up. If you have cyano or algae its from excess nutrients. I would invest in RO/DI unit and start doing frequent water changes, fix skimmer
Old 05-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone know of a good HOB skimmer? I had this one Reef Octopus BH 100 Hang on Back Protein Skimmer - AquaCave.com
But it broke and leaked about 10 gallons of water on the floor. I would have to have an HOB skimmer since I do not have a sump
-1 flame hawkfish
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a coralife protien skimmer. Tough to break in but once you get it tuned in it pulls some nasty stuff. My tank did the same thing even with the skimmer. I used chem clean and it worked wonders on my tank. That stuff is so nasty you will spend forever syphoning out w water changes and you'll lose half of your sand in the process. Add a power head or two and that will keep it from happening again.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You definitely need to reduce nutrients, but it's going to be one hell of a fight with cyano. I've tried it twice, each time ended up using chemiclean. It's just too hard of a fight, lol.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No chance you can get a 20g tank and make a sump? That way you could easly start running GFO and have a place for a better skimmer. ChemiClean will not fix the problem. It will kill the cyano but if the nutrients are still there the cyano will come back.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 10 gallon tank...would that be sufficient? I'm just still semi confused as to how a sump works and how to incorporate a sump in my existing tank. If it isn't hard, I would love to do it. Anyone have any advice?
-1 flame hawkfish
Old 05-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sump can house skimmer, heater, reactors etc. takes a lot of stuff out of display tank. You run an overflow from main tank to sump and u have a main pump that pumps from sump back to display very easy do a youtube search

Tags
bacteria, bloom, cyano, cyanobacteria

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com