Cyanobacteria Takeover.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firerescue2002

Aquarium Advice Regular
A buddy has a 55 gal. salt tank. Covered with the blue-green cyano or slime algae.

His equipment includes

55 gal. tank
55 gal. undergravel filter
2 maxi-jet 900 power heads (for the undergravel)
1 Small Whisper HOB filter
48" Twin Tube NO light strip

His Inhabitants are.

1 Ringed Anenome
1 Condylactis Anenome
3 Green Leg Hermit Crabs
1 Bi-Color Damsel
5 un-identified assorted fish
2 Pencil Urchin
1 Rock Urchin
1 Porcelain Crab
1 small starfish
10-15 lbs. of LR
100lbs of dolomite gravel

Against my advice he purchased all of this in a package at a garage sale, for $300.00. Now he wants my help in fixing his cyano bloom. I told him most of his critters will not survive in these conditions. And that his cyano bloom was is probably a low flow issue?

He does not have internet access so he is using me as a messenger to post. What else should I tell him,provided he will listen?

TIA,
Andrew

IMO, the 1st problem I see is the undergravel filter. I do not think he will get the proper filtration with that set up.
Next, was this tank been cycled or was everything just dumped in? You don't give any info as far as water parameters; ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.
Cyanobacteria algea is usually caused by excessive nutrients in the water and not low water flow. I don't see any mention of a protein skimmer being used.
Sounds like a pretty good deal he got, but I don't think that equipment is a good enough set up for a healthy tank.

I would add powerheads, actinic light
How many more powerheads what size and flow rate? NO flourescant actinic??

IMO, the 1st problem I see is the undergravel filter. I do not think he will get the proper filtration with that set up.
I completely agree with you, but he is old fashioned and stubborn.... I have tried to talk him into removing the undergravel and replacing the dolomite gravel with argonite sand substrate. :roll:

excessive nutrients in the water and not low water flow
So increasing the flow would not help?

Tank was cycled and established for about 6 months when he bought the set up right out this guys front room. Packed up the critters and moved it all in one day.

H20 parameters are unkown at the moment... I will get back to ya..

TIA,
Andrew

So increasing the flow would not help?

Increasing water flow always helps with cyano. But if the excess nutritent problem still exists, it won't help *much*.

Basically, you need need to get him to follow the advice of the others: Find a way to export more nutrients and increase water flow.

You didn't mention what kind of water he is using or what he feeds. Switching to RO/DI water would help tremendously as far as limiting nutrient import. Also, cutting back on feedings will help the cause as well.

Something else that no one has mentioned is that those anem's are not going to live long at all under N/O lighting. They need high lighting...on the same level w/ many sps corals. Sounds like he made a lot of bad decisions all at once (against your advise)

I think I would also tell him that if he wants you to "fix it," then he is going to have to listen to what you tell him. Otherwise whats the point. I can hear the conversation now...

owner: "My tank is ugly...fix it"

friend: "Okay...you need to ditch the U/F and replace it with sand."

Owner: "No I like the U/F....fix it."

Friend: "okaayy....more circulation...add power heads"

Owner: "No..I dont want to spend the money....fix it."

:mrgreen: You will end up bald from pulling your hair out. I dont mean to be overly blunt, but either he wants to do it right...or he doesnt. If he doesnt..then your wasting your time trying to help him.

owner: "My tank is ugly...fix it"

friend: "Okay...you need to ditch the U/F and replace it with sand."

Owner: "No I like the U/F....fix it."

Friend: "okaayy....more circulation...add power heads"

Owner: "No..I dont want to spend the money....fix it."

8O WOW.... RIGHT ON THE MONEY 8O

As far as feeding he is feeding the fish brine shrimp and flakes. He is feeding the urchins shrimp pellets and algae supplements. Parameters are still unknown I am awaiting his sample. I think I am more concerned about his tank than he is :roll: He is using tap water until he can find jugs to fill with ro from the store.

Andrew

YOu need to tell him if he is not willing to do what it takes to fix it right, then he is destined to fail. He should not ask for advice if he will not heed it.

If following the guidelines of using dolomite gravel and a UGF, there is no reason it will "fail". The only difference with current systems is that they tend to be easier to implement and maintain. IMO, he only has to make a decision on how much effort he wants to put into it, and how much money he will be willing to spend to counterweight his potential effort.

This setup sounds new, which could very well have something to do with the cyano bloom. I would also add more waterflow. Levels such as: nitrates, phosphates, etc. are really necessary to be reasonably accurate with any causes and cures. If not, we are all kind of throwing darts in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom