Cycle Almost finished...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I tested the water again today and I have no ammonia left!
Now I have very high nitrites and my nitrates are dropping. Strange?
Anyyways, I'm thinking that my tank will be cycled sometime in the middle of next week maybe?
So I'm starting to think about a clean up crew.
The tank is 55 gallons and will be stocked with some type of small tang, a dwarf lion, snowflake eel, maroon clown, and flame angel.
I know my CUC optioins are limited because of this so heres what I'm thinking about getting...
Brittle star
Pincussion Urchin
Longspine Urchin
Large Cleaner Shrimp
Roughly 5-10 Turbo Snails
Roughly 15 Nassi Sanils
Now I'm wondering if thats enough and if not what else I could get and/or couldnt get. Here's what I'm curious about...
Hermits
"Open" Crabs (like emerald or whatever)
Anything Else?
Any responses appreciated!
Thanks!

I would recommend holding off on the star and urchins until your tank is more mature and stable.

Crabs and shrimp will not make it with the eel. They will be toast. I had a snowflake so I know.

All crabs? Including hermits?
and what if i got a juvenile eel,and adult shrimp and kept everything well fed? will there be a chance?
I'll hold off on the urchins and star.
Thanks!

When I got mine he was 3 inches long. Within 6 months he was a foot long. IMO you`ll be sorry if you add shrimp and crabs. Mine would only eat shrimp.

lol ok, ill see how it goes. =]
parameters are as follows over the past 3 days...
ammonia: 3, 1, 0.
nitrite: 10, over 10, way over 10. (higest is 10 on the scale)
nitrate: 160, 120, 90
ph is consistent at 7.8
alkalinity is consistent at 300

goin good?

i think someting is wrong...
my nitrItes arent dropping any(and theyre really really high) but my nitrAtes are.
nitrates: 40
nitrites: over 10
ammonia: 0
alk: 300
ph: 7.8
salinity:1.026
temp: 80ish
im also getting that rusty brown stuff everywhere (diatoms?).
i think its because the bulb on the 36 watt fixture hasnt been changed in 3 years according to my uncle. ill be getting a new fixture eventually but for now ill just keep the light off until i seee the rustyness go away.
im still a little puzzled with the cycle, any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

through research i found out that it could be beneficial to pwc to get nitrites down to a measureable level and it worked, it wasnt too much of a difference but it was on the scale.

Back
Top Bottom