Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
is back to save the day!

Cycle complete, but still a little fuzzy.

Ok so, two days ago, my cycle completed. Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0. And they've been 0 for the past two days. Now i have a couple of questions regarding what to do now. First off, my pH is at 7.8, and im really confused why its still there. The surface of my tank is not stagnant at ANY area. Every single bit of the surface water is moving around constantly. How do i bring the pH up into the 8.0+ zone? Also, when my cycle was completed, my nitrates were pretty high. Around 40ppm. Now, two days AFTER my cycle was complete, i did a 50% water change. I went back to test it like 5 minutes ago, and it still says my nitrates are at 40ppm. Everything else is still at zero though. How do i get rid of nitrates that high? I tried the 50% water change, but obviously that didnt work, at all. So i need some help on that. Also, how do i get my pH higher to where i need it. I don't want to start throwing chemicals in the water, but i will if i need to. I have a bottle of pH increase, that i could use if need be, but i think there are other ways. Need some assistance here, so thanks in advance to all that help me.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay I've been away for a bit so clue me in on a few things.
1) what did you use for your ammonia source?
2) How old is your testing chemicals?
3) What is the temp. of your AQ?

Old 08-25-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
is back to save the day!

I used uncured LR as my ammonia source.

I just bought my API test kit for saltwater, and the expiration date is not until 2010. Or at least i think thats what it says lol.

My temperature is 80F
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Thanx but no.....

7.8 isn't a killer. What time of day are you taking the readings? PH will fluctuate. The usual advice is that a constant PH in an acceptable range is better than adding chemicals and bouncing it around. Certainly can't argue with that.

re nitrates: You may still have decay happening from the rock but enough bacteria to consume the ongoing decay. As such your nitrates will continue to rise though rising at that extreme is odd.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
is back to save the day!

Alright, i was testing the pH around 5am so i don't really know whats up with that. But is there anything i could get for the tank that would chow down on some things on the rock? Like any shrimp or snails etc.. But it isn't hard to believe that my nitrates could possibly be coming from my rocks because it did have an abundance of death on it. Any suggestions as to how i could lower the nitrates?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Thanx but no.....

macro in your sump, water changes, a denitrator will help with existing nitrates. Food quality and quantity, skimmer, purigen, GAC, macro, denitrator will all help with limiting nutrients and the creation of nitrates.

PH will test lower at night and early in the morning.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
is back to save the day!

Alright, so what do you mean by a denitrator? Could i use something like AmQuel+ ?? I know its a chemical, but as of now, its the only thing that i have that "says" it will lower nitrates. I don't have an lfs that sells macro either, so i would have to order it online, and i would rather order things in bulk then just as needed. There's nothng in the tank so i dont feed it.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
Thanx but no.....

Hopefully you do still have decay going on or else your bacteria will starve.. With no fish , they still need an ammonia source to eat and live.

Read the bottle closely, their claim isn't that it removes (which is doesn't).
'A primary purpose in using AmQuel+ in aquariums and ponds is to protect aquarium and pond fishes and invertebrates by quickly eliminating (actually detoxifying) the harmful components of the biological nitrogen cycle - ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, without slowing the nitrogen cycle'.

Google sulfur denitrator....

You can pick up a bunch of macro on RC from sellers for about $15 shipped if intrested
Old 08-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
is back to save the day!

Alright then, whats RC? Also, do you think that getting fish with this high nitrates would be bad? Or could i go out and get the fish i wanted?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
is back to save the day!

Also, another quick question. As soon as i do a water change, how long after i just did a water change, would it be safe to complete another water change?

Tags
cycle, fuzzy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com