Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cycle frozen? (Please help)

OK so a little background I started this saltwater tank little around nine weeks ago and I added my source of ammonia eight weeks ago however I didnít buy any sort of testing until about three weeks ago now that I tested I have close to 0 ammonia a lot of nitrates (40ppm) but very low nitrite and itís been like this for a while, I feel like this cycle is endless and my thing I can do?

Old 11-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You werenít continuing to feed the cycle. Ammonia needs to be added as it is depleted until you canít detect any 24 hours after dosing up to 2 ppm.
You can start adding more ammonia now to get the process going again. Iíd suggest a cocktail shrimp in some panty hose. Easy clean up and you shouldnít need to add more if you use a couple.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You werenít continuing to feed the cycle. Ammonia needs to be added as it is depleted until you canít detect any 24 hours after dosing up to 2 ppm.
You can start adding more ammonia now to get the process going again. Iíd suggest a cocktail shrimp in some panty hose. Easy clean up and you shouldnít need to add more if you use a couple.

I fed for a while almost daily I went to get my water lab tested at a reef store and they said stop adding ammonia and the cycle will finish however what youíre saying makes sense. Not sure what to do...
Old 11-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Go to the store and get a shrimp cocktail ring. Toss a couple in some pantyhose. Tie it off and toss it inside. Sit back and enjoy the delicious shrimp that remain. Get a cheap api liquid test kit. Just the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Should come with pH too, but donít worry about it. Just set it and forget it.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was reading the wrong chart and those were the wrong numbers, here are the stats of my tank

pH - 8.1

Alk - 310

Salt (ppt) 34 (sg = 1.025)

Ammonia - ~5

Nitrate - 13ppm

Nitrite - 30ppm
Old 11-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Donít worry about ph or all. Just toss that to the curb.
Until you have 0 readings on ammonia and nitrite, your cycle isnít complete.
Are you sure everything is good with those readings? That is an extremely high ammonia level with how you stated you dosed the system. You shouldnít go above 2 ppm or it prolongs the cycle time...did it on my 55 when I did it.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Donít worry about ph or all. Just toss that to the curb.
Until you have 0 readings on ammonia and nitrite, your cycle isnít complete.
Are you sure everything is good with those readings? That is an extremely high ammonia level with how you stated you dosed the system. You shouldnít go above 2 ppm or it prolongs the cycle time...did it on my 55 when I did it.

Well because I am using a test strip there is no ammonia test so I get that tested at my lfs, I asked for a liquid test kit for Christmas but I have to use strips at least to get me through the cycle, I just assumed that now that my nitrites are starting to go down and nitrates are starting to appear that there would be only i tiny amount of ammonia because I just phantom Fed last night, and I thought 5 ppm was low. So all the other numbers are accurate just not that

Tags
cycle, fin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com