Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cycling

Iím upgrading to a 75g from my 29g in a few weeks. I was wondering what the quickest way to cycle is? I have a quarantine tank but I donít want to displace my animals for too long, so I was just wondering what the best way to go would be?

Old 12-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just take some substrate and add it to the tank and put the current filter media into the new filter and let it run for a day maybe and test the water, should cycle it pretty fast because the bacteria's already there

Old 12-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAquariums View Post
Just take some substrate and add it to the tank and put the current filter media into the new filter and let it run for a day maybe and test the water, should cycle it pretty fast because the bacteria's already there

Okay, thank you!
Old 12-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You shouldn't need to bring over any sand. If you are bringing everything over from a previously cycled tank, you can just move it over without issue. You will be able to add any dry rock in afterwards and it will populate with beneficial bacteria. If you want to add any uncycled 'live' rock, you may want to cycle it in a seperate container to try to minimize gunk into the new system.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You shouldn't need to bring over any sand. If you are bringing everything over from a previously cycled tank, you can just move it over without issue. You will be able to add any dry rock in afterwards and it will populate with beneficial bacteria. If you want to add any uncycled 'live' rock, you may want to cycle it in a seperate container to try to minimize gunk into the new system.

Do you think I should just get all new sand and not bother with transferring it over, or should I save some money by bringing over what I can?

Also I was just going to continue with dry rock regardless, itís cheaper and thereís no chance of worms or anything so like it.

Iím also interested in trying out a sump.. but it seems very intimidating. I have a bunch of extra tanks I can use, I just donít want the threat of water spilled all over my floor & I donít want to drill into my tank. What is the easiest sump set up that I can have?
Old 12-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would normally say get all new sand, but I believe that this is a pretty fresh setup and that it can be reused.
Don't be intimidated by a sump. I would suggest a CPR HOB overflow if you don't want to drill. That way you can use an aqualifter to help prevent siphon loss.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I would normally say get all new sand, but I believe that this is a pretty fresh setup and that it can be reused.
Don't be intimidated by a sump. I would suggest a CPR HOB overflow if you don't want to drill. That way you can use an aqualifter to help prevent siphon loss.

Okay awesome!

Would there still need to be some sort of filtration even with the overflow box, or is that it? Iíve never had something like this before so sorry for all the questions!
Old 12-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cycling

Sorry, would the box be on top of the sump, meaning as well as having it?
Old 12-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You would usually run the overflow into something like a filter sock to catch debris. You can use sponges as well.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com