Cycling a new tank with established rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Quick question regarding cycling a new tank.

I just purchased and setup a 24 gallon Nano Cube. Filled it up about 3 days ago with Catalina Saltwater and 25 lbs. of CaribSea Agarlive Sand. I purchased 30 lbs. of live rock from a local guy who was getting out of the hobby. The rock had been in his tank for the past 3 years and is covered in purple, green, and red coralline.

Am I going to get a cycle since I purchased fully cured/established rock? It was only out of water for about 2 hours during transport.

I’ve removed all but the sponges from the filtration chambers. I will slowly remove the sponges over the week or two and replace with live rock rubble. This will be my only means of filtration. Weekly water changes of 3-4 gallons using Catalina water.

What do you experts think? Do I need to do something to start/create a cycle before I am "fish ready"?

And just a FYI... I am not using Catalina water/Agarlive because of the claims it cycles your tank overnight and you can just drop in fish. I don't buy those claims. The water is simply out of convenience since I don't have an RODI yet and my LFS's want $2 gallon for RODI water.

Thanks

I would say you will probably not have a cycle. On the other hand why is the guy "giving up the hobby" Did the tank the rock was in have any fish in it? One thing you may want to think of is it could have ich or other parasites present. Not saying it does but just a thought. If the rock has been in for 3 days do you register any NH3? You could always throw in a little bit of flake etc. and see if levels rise.

Am I going to get a cycle since I purchased fully cured/established rock?
Nope. Use a shrimp but i don't think you need to cycle where it was an established tank unless the sand is new.
Weekly water changes of 3-4 gallons using Catalina water.
That will be great if you do that. One quick ?... what exactly is catalina water?
I don't buy those claims
Smart!
The water is simply out of convenience since I don't have an RODI yet and my LFS's want $2 gallon for RODI water.
You can go to a local grocery store and get ro water for a lot cheaper or if you have the $ invest in an RO/DI filter for your house.

On the other hand why is the guy "giving up the hobby" Did the tank the rock was in have any fish in it? One thing you may want to think of is it could have ich or other parasites present.
He and his wife just had there 3rd child and he said he simply did not have enough time to dedicate to his tank. His tank was beautiful with tons of coral and many fish, all which looked very healthly to me.

If the rock has been in for 3 days do you register any NH3? You could always throw in a little bit of flake etc. and see if levels rise.
The rock has only been in there for about 12 hours now. The tank had water/sand in it for 3 days. I will start monitoring my NH3/NH4, N02, and N03 today.

One quick ?... what exactly is catalina water?
http://www.catalinawater.com/. You can buy it from PetCo for around $8 to $10 per 5 gallons. Ready to use saltwater. No mixing required.

Thanks!

Can the guy hold the rock for you unitl after you cycle with shrimp? That way, you don't stress the rock inhabitants, which I'm sure are very many from an established tank with the ammonia and nitrite spike. Might take 2-3 weeks to complete the cycle.

It'd really be ideal IMO if he could hold it for you for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom