Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cycling And Lights

I have added all my live rocks and I have tested my ammonia(range of 1.0-2.0 I believe) nitrite (0) and nitrate (0). Also I think I need help aqua scapeing and may need more live rocks. What do you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400543378.464591.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	237731   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400543388.055701.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	237732  

Old 05-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A pound to a pound and a half per gallon is a good guideline when deciding how much rock you need. 30 gallon tank...30-45 pounds of rock.
I can't speak for the bacteria in those bottles you added. I have never added supplemental bacteria to any tank I have cycled...I just cycled it as you are, with an ammonia source and patience.
The aquascape is entirely up to you. You are the one who will have to look at this tank for the duration, not us. Just try not to stack the rock in such a way that you have a lot of dead spots or low flow areas where uneaten food and fish poop can collect.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Also build some overhangs and hiding holes for the fish.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

If those readings are accurate the 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate means there is not enough bacteria consuming those ammonia yet. Take readings daily and you will notice nitrite will slowly go up first. When it reaches the peak (spike) it will gradually go down and nitrate will start going up. Do not change water until the nitrite stays down to minimum. At that instance, you will notice the nitrate will be very high. That's the time you do large water change and then you can slowly introduce your live stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

about day 5 I believe since I started(if you count the from the moment I added the shrimp. The ammonia readings are just going up and up about2.0-4.0 now and no nitrite or nitrate reading yet no problem. Now the questions I have are do you guys think uv sterilizers are good the reason I started thinking about it is because I had a canister filter before but also in my tank I had cyanobacteria and bubble algae while using the filter. do you guys think if I re use the canister it might be re introduced into my new system and would a uv help just in case.

ps. iam also not very good at remembering when to do water changes as I can get lazy and school can get complicated so the more filtration the better for me I guess. I also picked that uv below because it was in a good price range and it had green killing machine

Amazon.com : Green Killing Machine Internal 9 Watt UV Sterilizer with Power Head : Aquarium Filter Accessories : Pet Supplies
Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Canister is bad filtration for a reef, it will become a nitrate factory...
Old 05-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

what about a coral life super skimmer rated for a 65 gallon I have heard good and bads about this skimmer but the same about any skimmer. This skimmer caught my attention because as mr x said an internal will take up to much space well this skimmer can go in a sump and hang on the back of the tanks as well what are your thoughts guys.

Amazon.com : Coralife 05271 Super Skimmer with Pump, 65-Gallon : Coral Life Protein Skimmer : Pet Supplies
Old 05-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Coralife ss65 is not worth your time. I haven't heard anything bad about quality skimmers. Don't expect this skimmer to perform like more popular brands. A UV sterilizer won't do anything for cyano or bubble algae.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Coralife ss65 is not worth your time. I haven't heard anything bad about quality skimmers. Don't expect this skimmer to perform like more popular brands. A UV sterilizer won't do anything for cyano or bubble algae.

We'll Iam still shaky on what to get to help me keep down nitrite and other harmful elements out a the tank as on I wouldn't be able to do a water change every week.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cycling And Lights

What if I get a hang on the back Refugium or create one instead would that work better instead of a skimmer

Tags
cycling, filtration, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com